Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Un-Merge Clips for Conform

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2020 Jan 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Has anyone figured out how to un-merge clips yet? I have recently finished a 90min feature and was getting ready to conform for grade when I discovered that the merged clips will not work to copy and transcode in the Project Manager for another drive to hand off to the colourist.

The reason I assume this is happening is that when you merge a clip, it essentially creates a new clip in the project and so you would not be able to Reveal said clip in Finder, hence the error with the Project Manager.

I havn't tried an xml export for Resolve yet as I assume the same thing will happen with the merged clips not relinking properly.

I'm now tasked with the possibilty of having to replace every shot in my picture locked timeline with the original which then has to be match framed, replaced and paste attributes of position, scale etc....

Please tell me there is a workaround :(((( 

Thanks in advance

J

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Hello,

I know this post is a bit old, but in case you or others would have such issue, note that an "UnMerge" tool is included in the Toolbox of our Third Party plugin "PlumePack" (Important Note: it will require a Premium Paid License). This plugin is initially and mainly a "Project Manager": consolidating Project and saving space used with a special "Trim" feature : which removes unused frames without re-encoding (and so keeping exact same quality, metadata, format, ..), but it also contain a "

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hmmm, just did a quick test with a single clip in a sequence that I'd merged with separate audio using project manager and it seems to have worked.  This is in Premiere 2018.  Tell us your source settings and sequence settings and maybe there's a clue there.  You can also export a full quality file of your entire timeline and have resolve put the edits in using an edl to place all the edits.   It's a little tricky and not very intuitive but it does work.    I'll see if my managed sequence will export an xml that will work with resolve now (it's a slow day)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and exported an xml from premiere and imported in resolve without issues...  it's only one shot but it seems to be working, unless I'm missing something (which happens).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like we are missing a key to this workflow. Can we see a screenshot of your Timeline, perhaps, John?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 24, 2020 Jan 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the responses. So after more testing it seems that even though I still cant get the Project Manager to work properly, I actaully had success in exporting an XML and importing into Resolve for conform with everything relinking minus a handful of clips that I had to force conform but all good nonetheless.

I also tried your suggestion mgrenadier of duplicating my timeline and deleting everything except 4 or 5 clips just to see would the Project Manager work but still get an error every single time.

I will say that one thing I did before the XML export was to delete all my proxies and relink to the raw files manually but still no joy with PM.

So from here I just plan to copy the old proxies into the Resolve project and do a Reconform from bin for playback.

It just seems that the Proxy workflow still seems a bit clunky as even when I toggled from proxy to original in the Source monitor, I did a Reveal in Finder and it still directed me to the proxy on my drive.

Anyway, Im away form the project at the moment but my I will attach a screenshot of my sequence settings along with the info below...

PP version: 12.1.2

Footage: 3200x1800 ProRes 4444XQ shot on the Alexa Mini

Thanks again for all your help.

JPP PROJECT SETTINGS.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gotta agree with you about proxies but I do find it easier to understand that resolve's.  And I almost always have to manually relink a few clips when I bring a sequence in to resolve.   

Not sure if you want to continue to troubleshoot this out or not, but I'm wondering if there's a problem might have something to do with ProRes 4444XQ which apparently contains an alph channel.  What format were you transcoding to?  Thinking it might be an idea to just do a short export from a camera original file to your target format and make sure that's working.  Do your clips have an alpha channel (even if they don't contain any transparency info), if you're trying to transcode to a format that doesn't allow an alpha channel, it might be an issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, good point...I shall continue to investigate further!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2022 Jun 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool feature. Thanks for letting us know.

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 20, 2023 Nov 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

I know this post is a bit old, but in case you or others would have such issue, note that an "UnMerge" tool is included in the Toolbox of our Third Party plugin "PlumePack" (Important Note: it will require a Premium Paid License). This plugin is initially and mainly a "Project Manager": consolidating Project and saving space used with a special "Trim" feature : which removes unused frames without re-encoding (and so keeping exact same quality, metadata, format, ..), but it also contain a "Toolbox" tab with utility scripts, with the "UnMerge" tool I mentionned. You can apply this tool to UnMerge all clips in your project OR only selected ones.

After the process, the UnMerged Timeline Clips will redirect to normal clip instead of the "Merged Clip" Project Item, they will also return to their initial names. The "Merged Clip" Project item will be converted into a Sequence Project Item, but should not referenced anywhere in any existing sequence (so you can safely delete those sequences if you want to). 

Hope that's useful, don't hesitate to contact us if you need more info or any request : https://www.autokroma.com/contact

Best,

Nicolas from Autokroma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines