• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to install codec - path or access error

Explorer ,
Mar 31, 2017 Mar 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to encode to HEVC, so Premiere (or Media Encoder) prompts me with a pop-up that says it's needs to install the codec. I click OK, but then another prompt comes up that says "Unable to install ...".

It points to a path: "c:\Users\Public\Documents\AdobeInstalledCodecs\1.0\mc_enc_hevc.dll" and says that it cannot write to it. I've deleted the path (as suggested by the prompt) and restarted the app, but no luck.

This problem isn't specific to HEVC though - it's universal for any codec that needs to be installed after the fact. I do notice though, that when restarting the app, it creates a folder in users\public\documents called "Public Documents" and not "Documents" - so I don't know if that's the problem.

To note, I am the Admin on my system with full access to everything. I'd appreciate any assistance. Many thanks!

Capture.JPG

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to have an answer as well!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is Public folder sharing turned on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue. Don't have H.265 and Dolby codecs, among others but H.264 is there. Tried deleting the public folders - zip. Tried most of the suggestions under Features and sequence presets missing | Premiere Pro CS6 and later but that did not work. Will try totally uninstalling and reinstalling next (Use the Creative Cloud Cleaner Tool to solve installation problems ).Noticed that windows seems to have made small portions of the public directories read only and it can not be changed. Running Win 10 Pro on a Z820 workstation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go figure -  I did all of the suggested fixes with no positive results.  Then, two days later everything is working, so now I can get back to working on the movie edits....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 26, 2017 Jun 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Computers, eh?

homer-computer-doh.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 27, 2017 Jun 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spoke too soon: There is no Adobe Codec and complains it can't install it. For now I will use AAC (which does work) since I have to get this thing out and have no time for futile experiments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

- Go to the location "C:\Users\Public\Documents\"

- Right click on the folder "AdobeInstalledCodecs" and select "Properties"

- Go to tab "Security"

- Modify Groups by adding the group "Everyone" and setting it to full control.

- Restart adobe and try again

This worked for me to fix the error, the files got updated by Adobe Media Encoder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This didn't work for me. 

Any other way?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues with Premiere pro 2021 paid version. I tried reinstalling, sign out and in, adding Everyone to the Public Documents folder... nothing helps 😕 I am really angry, I have a video cut, and not able to export it as I need HEVC codec.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 26, 2021 Aug 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Contact Support.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2022 Jan 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever find any fix for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines