• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unable to Play Apple ProRES RAW

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having an issue where I am unable to view ProRes RAW footage using Premiere. The screen appears black and playback will not start. There is no error message. Footage was shot on Sony FX3 and FX6. I have edited ProRes RAW on this machine using Premiere previsouly.

I have tried restarting Premiere and the computer. I have ensured the CUDA renderer is being used. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Apple ProRes RAW 1.3 and restarted the computer. Playback functions normally on MAC. Problem is either confined to this machine or this update of Premiere on Windows.

Windows 10

Premiere Pro v23.0

CPU: 11 Gen Intel Core i9- 11900K @3.5GHz

Memory: 128GB

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080Ti (Studio Drivers)

Motherboard: ASUS Z490

I read on another post that Apple ProRes RAW 1.0 is the only version that works properly with Premiere but I was unable to find an older version online to test that theory.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Try downloading the 517.40 Nvidia Studio Driver and see if that fixes it. There seems to be a bug with the newer Drivers and ProRes Raw. Below is a link where you can add your card and OS into then look for the 517.40 Driver that released September 20th, 2022. I hope this helps!

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Votes

Translate

Translate
Mentor ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i read in another thread, there was a bug with the iGPU trying to take over prores raw. maybe try disabling the iGPU in bios or device manager. i think there was a iGPU driver update that broke the interface to transition back and forth betwen the external gpu but i could be mistaken. maybe even rolling back its driver may work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, here with the same problem, did you find a solution? It seems its a problem with the studio nvidia gpu update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2022 Nov 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try downloading the 517.40 Nvidia Studio Driver and see if that fixes it. There seems to be a bug with the newer Drivers and ProRes Raw. Below is a link where you can add your card and OS into then look for the 517.40 Driver that released September 20th, 2022. I hope this helps!

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/Find.aspx?lang=en-us

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey sorry for the late reply. Was out sick. Just got back into the studio today and tried this solution out. Fixed the problem instantly! Thanks so much. I would not have thought to go back this far for a working driver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

I talked to engineering. You can use 522.xx or earlier. NVIDIA is aware of the issue. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 26, 2022 Dec 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What if we have a 4080 and the drivers don't go back that far?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 14, 2023 Jan 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same dilema. I have a 4080 and it will not install due to incompatible hardware. About to throw my 2080 super in the machine to see if the fix works. Damn shame I can't use the better card

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 19, 2023 Jan 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that with a 3090 it works with older firmware. It will not work with newer firmware. I could not get my 4080 to work with CUDA at all as it will not work with the oldwer drivers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to try software rendering if possible. As the problem is sitting at Nvidia's desk, you need to get a solution from them, if Adobe does not manage to have a workaround for that. You may need to try newer drivers or beta drivers if available, or older drivers. Check the Nvidia fora.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A less optimal solution, but working for now would be to transcode the assets to a different codec.

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A of February 2023, is this still an ongoing issue? I have been having ProRes RAW issues for a while now. Decode and export only works when software only. You can understand why that would be a problem as it's extremely time consuming and not using GPU at all. When I roll back Premiere, I get the black screen and no decode at all on GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. I allowed the system to upgrade to 528.24 just out of curiousity. To my surprise I could still edit PreRes Raw. I could see the video. No black screen or cut outs. Mind you this in on a 3090 Strix. Not a 4090. I can't confirm for the 4090. If you are still having issues, roll back your drivers. If it isn't working for a 4090, you can't rool back that far. That is why I removed mine and am using a Strix. Works well. No issues encoding either. Encoding an hour long interview right now shot in ProRes Raw. Evrythinbg on my new channel was shot with a Canon R5 in ProRes Raw and edited on a PC using Premiere:

[link removed by a moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See if you can make proxies or even export with hardware encode after version 5.22.xx. I've been having issues all week and finally found the solution. It was a mixture of needing to roll back Nvidia drivers while also getting a corrupted project because of this all. Essentially it wouldn't hardware export with the mix of latest GeForce drivers + latest Premiere + Media Encoder. I tried rolling back Premiere first and then that's what led to black screen playback. It seems latest Premiere can playback (decode) but cannot hardware encode on an export with the lastest GeForce drivers. Then I rolled back to 528.22.xx and I was able to playback fine, but whenever I tried exporting the window just wouldn't pop up and the project would crash. Eventually I created a NEW project, and manually had to bring in my clips and adjustments (importing the whole sequence brought the same corrucption issues). I imagine it was something to do with how the footage was initially analysed and cached while having incompatible newer drivers.

Anyways TL;DR. 528.22.xx still works and seems to be the best option for ProRes RAW workflows right now. It works best if you have started your project WHILE having that driver. That's what I found to work at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Bros That's good news.

It wasn't the graphics driver issue, it wasn't the Adobe issue.

That's the way I worked it out.

If the graphics card driver has been updated and it doesn't work,

Go!
Windows device manager -> display adaptor ->
CPU Integrated graphics card driver delete or Disable device

Almost Users are Prores raw gonna be working fine.

If solved these problems with my tips,

Please Subscribe my youtube channel^^

[link removed by a moderator]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2023 May 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I recently upgraded to a Ryzen 7950x3D and an RTX 4090. It never worked since I upgraded. I called Apple, and I called Adobe, were never able to solve my issue. I bumped across this and tried it, and OH MY! YOU ARE A GODSEND! Thank you! This worked for me! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines