Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Unsupported compression type AV01

Enthusiast ,
Nov 24, 2021 Nov 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

im doing some edits that involve taking footage from youtube

however, when i import them into premiere it tells me they have an unsupported compression type av01

it then only imports the audio, but not  the video.

how can i fix this?

it seems to be a new problem that i didn't have before, and it happens with old as well as new youtube material now.

TOPICS
Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Instead of getting the media from YouTube, go directly to the creator for the files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob,  dont  judge without knowing the context. 

my question is about compression types, not ethics.

but for your information i am doing everything within my power to be ethical in how i do things if you really want to quiz me about it id be happy to share with you.

but that is for another question.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usage rights are just one issue of concern when it comes to using YouTube as the soruce for a video edit.

That video extracted from YouTube is a low bandwidth, highly compressed delivery format is another.  Even if it's screen recorded and then saved as ProRes, it's still and end-of-workflow format. 

Going directly to the creator of the files provides a much, much better chance of getting files that are good for editing.

That said, it sounds like you need to convert your current source video to a format that is supported by Premiere Pro. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

what im doing essentially is using it for DJ purposes, the actual quality of the video is secondary in this case to the audio.  sure i want it to be as good as possible, but the audio is what matters most.  im using premiere to put it together with the audio files that i have purchased on CD etc...

and i only do this in cases where there is no other recourse available, and i mean no other. in fact there have been times were iv contacted artists and they have pointed me to youtube and said why dont i just download it from there?  the alternative would be them sending me a DVD from the other side of the world, or me purchasing a DVD which in many cases turns out to be as bad or worse quality than the youtube version. (but i still do it where a DVD can be purchased)

but im a bit sensitive to people making these remarks, as they are coming with an assumption that i have not already tried, or are not willing to try every other better recourse first,  which is not the case.  🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 05, 2022 Aug 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi!!!!! con you fix this problem?? i'm in the same situation and I don't know what to doooo I'm crazy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Mar 30, 2023 Mar 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes, i used a different downloader, which converts it to mp4 as it downloads

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @djmattyz , unfortunately, the other answers are not helpful.  I'll try to share some insights from the VDMX VJ community.

1. AV1 Is a codec that has become popular for YouTube HD playback, typically 4K videos.  A number of YouTube videos have their 4K stream encoded as AV1 and their 1080 stream encoded as H.264, so sometimes it depends on which resolution of the video you download.

2. Pretty much any Mac based application updated in the last 6 years is going to run of AVFoundation for video playback.  AVFoundation does not support AV1, hence, none of the apps that use that playback engine will work.  This is because AV1 is a direct competitor to (better performing) than Apples HEVC codec, so it is unlikely that it will playback natively in the near future.

3. FFMPEG can re-encode AV1 videos to another codec.   If you want to do this in Adobe Media Encoder you will have to use something like AutoKroma's Influx: https://www.autokroma.com/Influx

To do this, you simply rename the end of the video extension .influx, and you can import the video into Media Encoder.

4. ff.works is another FFMPEG based encoder that can convert AV1 files to H.264 or your preferred codec.

5. Other than playback through VLC, IINA, or a 3rd party video player, you will have to convert any AV1 video files to another format to use them for editing or VJing.

6. Adobe has been lazy when it comes to supporting 3rd party codecs.  Apple Silicon builds of all adobe products do not support anything outside of AVFoundation. (H.264, H.265, ProRes, Apple Pro Codecs, HEVC) even CineForm which was widely used for years as a cross compatible codec (Mac / PC) will only run under Rosetta 2, and most likely won't run at all in the near future.     It's annoying, it's a future nightmare, and both Adobe and Apple don't seem to care, so for now, we all have to find work arounds to this (any many other codec issues).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 26, 2023 Jan 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some quick technical notes:

• Users running macOS can create AV1 encoded video in a .mkv, .mp4, or .webm wrapper with Shutter Encoder, all of which will play in VLC Player.
  • Shutter Encoder will also convert AV1 movie files to a format that's good for editing and that, as such, can be used in Premiere Pro or After Effects.  For users that need this and have not tried it yet, ProRes 422 LT is a good choice.
  • Adobe video applications support the QuickTime file format separately from Apple AV Foundation Frameworks, including formats that have been deprecated by Apple (i.e. QuickTime 7 era formats and codecs) like Animation.
  • Apple ProRes, ProRes HDR, and ProRes RAW are Apple Silicon native along with H.264 and H.265/HEVC in a QuickTime wrapper and do not require running Adobe video applications using Rosetta.  (Photoshop was laging behind a little bit, but recently gained Apple Silicon support for video as well).
  • Import and export of the GoPro Cineform codec still requires using Rosetta 2.
  • Any Apple Silicon based user who is interested in when they might have to use Rosetta 2 emulation should review Premiere Pro for Apple silicon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 08, 2024 Feb 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is exactly it, funny how the "community experts" are the ones to quickly deny any information, rather then answer the original question presented. Luckily this is an OPEN forum, meaning other's including myself can respond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Eric35342795y8s8 

Actually, it is Cornelius28123743e03z's post that has some incorrect information.  If you have any additional information to add that might be useful, please feel free to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warren is a very open, experienced, professional editor. We all benefit from his knowledge shared here helping others.

He's got a wealth of heavy workflow experience and technical knowledge. And clearly, like most here, worries far more about accuracy than anyone's ego. Including Adobe.

He's very good at troubleshooting also. And doesn't dump on anyone or make pejorative comments. Politely professional. And always direct about what is fact and what he's extrapolating from data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My thing wasnt here to talk dirt for no reason. I saw that the original question which was if it was possible to import Av1 into Adobe was instead answered twice by two different "Community Experts" with Just ask the original author. That is a very divertive answer and does not provide any useful information on the actual subject. This is not Ego, this is ethics. The question has already been answered so there is no need to further this conversation, my goal was to expose what I saw as unfit and hopefully those who saw could reflect on it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Had the original question simply been "How do I use AV1 video as source footage with Premiere Pro?" then there likely would have been a very quick answer (i.e. convert it under macOS or Windows to ProRes 422 LT or other supported format using Shutter Encoder).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines