• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updating Production to Premiere Pro 2023 crashes the app

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm testing the 2023 update and opening/converting a Premiere Pro 2022 production causes the entire application to crash after the bar moves about 10%. I tried multiple Productions, I also moved them of our Lucidlink (first crash also crashed my Mac Finder) to the desktop etc. all to no avail.

It does create a duplicate Production labeld 23 but those have issues opening. 

This is on a Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB running the latest updates of Mac OS. 

TOPICS
Crash , Error or problem , Freeze or hang

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay I just gave it another change and if you just ignore the fact that nothing is happening accept a spinning beach ball and a frozen progess bar, oh and also ignoring the fact that Mac OS says that PPro has crashed and give it a couple of minutes, it's able to convert my Productions. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 20, 2022 Oct 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. The new 2023 keeps on crashing opening my old project. I am rolling back.
Adobe is so bad with updating versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 23, 2022 Oct 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same very ennoying Problème.

JR

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 24, 2022 Oct 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there. the same thing is happening to me, but it happens when I try and save my project. when I go to click on anything in the taskbar (Like "File" "Clip" "Help" those things) Premire Pro freezes and says "The software is not responding. Thankfully I can do ctrl + s, but it's still horribly annoying because it came out of nowhere. I'm using an ASUS computer with Windows 11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might be able to dump all cache files for the new version and get it working correctly. But ... sage advice:

When installing a new version ...

1) Please, make sure that you UNCHECK the option to 'remove previous versions'. That leaves all previous versions installed, and you can keep working in them until you find the new major version working correctly.

2) DO NOT 'upgrade projects from one version to the next!

3) To migrate project to a new major version: create a NEW project in the new version.

3) Use the MediaBrowser panel to navigate to the older version project file, and IMPORT or INGEST the contents of that version's project file into the new version. This gets the content of the old into a correctly setup new project file, with the safest and best chance of correct metadata all around.

And this process leaves both the previous version and your 'old' project file untouched so you can keep working in them at need.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Production with 20+ projects in it does not invite to manually replace each and every project. And to keep them half in the old version and half in the new does not feel like the wisest solution going forward. Luckily in the end the conversion did work and I'm now happily continuing my work.

Also opening an old version and converting it will always prompt you to create a seperate copy for the new version, same thing happend with the Production conversion. And in 10 years I never had any issues with this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That new Productions feature (what, a year old now, something like that?) is pretty awesome. I'm a one-man shop and use it for a year's work.

And I've created a new Production with a new version, then re-created my base folder structure, then migrated (as in the previous post) any projects that are continuing. Many of course will be.

It's a bit tedious, takes a morning or so. But seems to work.

I'm trying to remember which staffer to 'ping' for Productions stuff. Hmm.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ugh even new projects are crashing for me. I'm getting warnings on every file I upload too. Soooooo unproductive!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I presume you deleted all cache files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Worked like a charm, thank you. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2022 Nov 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh damn false alarm. Still not working. Always awesome when you're working to a deadline. I'm getting mutliple errors. Been using Premier pro for maybe 2 years. Always the same process but first time having this issue. 
1) First one is when I place a video into the timeline (can't think of the proper name right now). It wouldn't let me screenshot (disappeared) but basically read 'Error retrieing frame...." repeatitively. 

2) second was 'A low-level exception occured in ImporterMPEG (Importer:8).

3) the whole thing just crashed. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone resolved this issue? I'm having the same problem - I'm tryin to upgrade Productions from Premire 2021 to 2023, and it keeps crashing once the project's open. Chat support ran the cleaner tool, but that didn't seem to help. Another chat support person recommended deleting ALL markers across the Production before upgrading - which I wasted an entire day doing, with the upgrade still crashing. 

Specs: Mac Mini M1, 2020, MacOS Big Sur version 11.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2023 Oct 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's rough! What's the OS you're on? Anyone else using that production, or like me, are you a one-person operation?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 05, 2023 Oct 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Neil,

I'm on MacOS Big Sur version 11.6. It's just myself on the project. I just tried cleaning the cache in the newly installed Premiere 2023, and then did the kind of cache clean that requires Premiere to close out and restart. I booted the converted Production up - all the peak files generated, like last time, and I just scrubbed through the timeline to try and 'provoke' a crash, which is what made it crash out the last time. So far, so good.

I just started rendering the timeline out, which also made it crash out before. It rendered about 13% of the timeline before it crashed again. Not sure what to attempt this time! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: talked to chat support again, and after getting rid of the one third-party plugin I had, they advised to update my OS to Ventura. Did that, booted the Production up again, and no dice. Still crashing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yowza! That ain't good not no way not no how. Wonder what the hay?

Have you installed the public beta of 24.x? Which will get the full deal treatment in a few days and "ship" October 10 as the new regular version. Wonder what a test in that would do?

I also wonder if you need to nuke Premiere from your system, then in new install, create a new Production, and import previous project from the previous Production one at a time. Might show where the problem lies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, no kidding! Just had another chat support session. This time they advised installing Premiere BETA, and trying to open a project in there. With the BETA version, it couldn't even open a single project - it kept choking, and then I got a system error saying that my compute was running low on RAM. They've 'escalated' the case, and will be getting back in touch with me over the next couple of days, hopefully.

I guess if nothing's been resolved over the next few days, I will try the October 10 release of the beta. 

I'm not sure we currently have the time / capacity to rebuild the Production infrastructure from scratch... but if nothing else works, I'm definitely tempted to take the time to try and do it that way.

Thanks for your thoughts! Will keep this thread posted on any further developments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes somewhere in the myriad of files Premiere and the CC system stuff all through the OS drive, corruption gets in. And the only way to get it is the "nuclear option", that old CC Cleaner app. Which is weird to use, but a couple times it was the only way I could get the apps to work right.

Might be useful here. Sadly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. The first support agent did use that tool - which marginally improved things. Before he used it, the project would crash immediately after it opened. After he used it, the project would stay open for the duration of peak file generation, and then crash once you start trying to do just about anything.

I'll consider the nuclear option, though - depending on whether the folks at Adobe can help me first.

Thanks again for your insights! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2023 Oct 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

UPDATE:

I finally spoke to a support agent over a phone a few days later. He tried a couple of new things. Firstly, he allowed full disk access for Premiere and Encoder - I wasn’t aware this was a recommended thing in general, but it didn’t make too much of a difference, in any case.

The big thing we then tried was switching to the Intel version of Premiere (I’m working on a Mac mini M1). This enables the ability to use ‘software-only’ rendering - so we attempted that on the timeline (which is about 90 minutes long at the moment). The render was very slow, but this time, it rendered the entire timeline! I then tried to export the sequence, with ‘using previews’ checked - and as soon as I selected the codec I wanted to export with, Premiere crashed. The export didn’t even get started. We repeated this a couple of times, but to no avail - it always crashed as soon as we selected the codec from the drop-down menu. By that point, it was midnight, and we decided to reconvene the next day.

Will keep updating as the investigation continues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines