• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

UPGRADE LUMETRI COLOR | offset wheel ?

Guide ,
Sep 20, 2022 Sep 20, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The colorist's work lacks a global color offset ring to balance the frame. Currently, there is no possibility to quickly adjust the white balance without any effort in the presence of an offset wheel in the color panel (screenshot attached). When to appear and how long to wait? This is an incredibly necessary addition.

Screenshot 2022-09-20 224733.png

Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
12 Comments
Community Expert ,
Sep 21, 2022 Sep 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

did this ever work in the colorista plugin by red giant? and besides, white balance is not actually a global adjustment. true white balance needs black point, shadow, midtone, highlight and whitepoint using RGB curves. histogram is useful for this(turns greyscale when stuff is lined up!) . I remember in the old fast color corrector, it had an offset wheel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This tool should be native in PrPro, not in a third-party application. At DaVinci, it works flawlessly. What you say about curves is a long process. I am now talking about a quick adjustment, which is necessary. It's done in a second.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice to have you aboard, Baffy!   😉

And yes, I will happily upvote your UserVoice request!

I was ... and still am, actually ... a HUGE partisan for SpeedGrade. Still use it on occasion in fact. I preferred it to Resolve, partly because I preferred the OGG (Offset, Gamma, Gain) functions of its design rather than the more common LGG (Lift, Gamma, Gain) model used in Resolve and most other grading apps. (The Gain control is the Mids ball in Lumetri and other apps.)

For those who don't know the details, Offset moves the entire color channel data 'evenly' (given a certain mushiness to visual "even-ness" value). So if you push an Offset towards Red, all data at all value levels goes towards Red a visually similar amount. If you push the Red channel "luminance" control up, all Red values get brighter by a visually close amount.

Essentially, you can correct for much of any color balance or color cast issues with one control. Perhaps not as precise as with LGG, but ... fast. (Part of why SpeedGrade was so aptly named.)

Whereas Lift ... like the Gain control ... only moves one end of the color or luminance data, specifically, the black point, the bottom end of the channel. A totally opposite action to moving the Gain control, which only moves the white-point end. A change in Lift is exactly analagous to grabbing the black point end of a Curves control and moving it up or down. As it affects shadows most, mids less, and highlights not hardly at all.

You can approximate the work of the Offset control by working the Lift and Gain controls together (or in similar directions). Which is easy enough on a control panel like my Elements, but ... not possible with a mouse or pen-tab.

Personally, I'm a big partisan of OGG, which SpeedGrade had ... and not so much of LGG as in Lumetri and the 'normal' wheels/balls of Resolve. Working overall color "feel", more than specifically color 'balance', is incredibly fast with an Offset control. And for most purposes, is not only faster but as accurate as is truly needed.

In Resolve, I do prefer the Offset much of the time. Resolve does have a fourth ball in the UI for Offset, that is available physically I think on some BlackMagic panels. On my Elements panel, I can access the Offset controls only via the Knobs panel, with a separate knob each for Offset Luma, R, G, and B channels.

Not nearly as handy for me as in SpeedGrade ... sigh.

That said ... there are differences in both function and approach, that are really more than semantics, between color or "white" balance controls on one hand, and correcting color casts on the other:

• The LGG  model is perhaps more suited to "precise" control of white balance, and many colorists prefer it because of this.
  • OGG is again perhaps more suited to quick overall control of visual color, including correcting color casts. As it is just one tool, this is a very quick action whether you have a control panel or not.

Color/White balance specifically refers to the white point ... this is why the controls for that across all aps I know of work essentially identically to grabbing the 'white' point end of a color channel in the RGB Curves panel. Or the Gain or 'Highlight' control in Resolve/Lumetri.

Specifically, the Temperature control always works by moving the Blue curve white point against the Red curve white point, one goes up and the other down, by the same amount. The Green data is ignored.

The "tint" control essentially "locks" or gangs the Red and Blue channel white points together, and contrasts movement of those against the Green white point. If R/B go up, G does down by a similar amount.

So "color" or "white" balance is about setting a correct white point ... and as noted, as if you are using the white-point ends of the Curves panel. Which of course means a WB setting will affect the highlights most, the mids some, and the shadows not hardly at all.

There are things for which one does need to accurately set that white point ... and that's what you use WB for.

An entirely different situation arises when you need to correct a color cast ... which is where the color is off over the entire brightness range.

For many uses, an exact white point is not crucial. You need to be worried mostly about the "feel" of the color from upper shadows to upper mid tones. For this, you can very simply substitute a color cast correction with the Offset controls for a quick approximation of visually correct color.(And no, a Mids wheel correction is not actually the same thing ... )

Which can be done more rapidly than setting the WB and then separately setting the Lift control Shadow component and/or the Mids controls to fix color casts.

Since Lumetri was first invented, I have argued that they should have kept SpeedGrade's OGG model, or at the least, added the Offset control to the rest of the panel.

The current head of all of Adobe's DVAs ... digital video/audio apps, is Patrick Palmer, who with his then-partner Lynn, create the program called Iridas ... which Abobe bought out and renamed SpeedGrade. I've met many times with Patrick at NAB and MAX ... he appreciates that I still love his "old" program. And of course, also sees a good use for Offset controls.

And all the Supers and engineers that are typically in attendance at NAB/MAX know my feelings on this.

So ... let's keep pushing this, shall we?!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Upvoted

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, thank you for the wonderful article and support. I appreciate it. I feel that I am moving on the right path and I want to make the product professional for all categories of people who squeeze the maximum out of the toolkit in PrPro. There's a lot more missing, but first you need to add Offset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Offset, as I mention, doth bring speed to the table for most non-broadcast work. Speed is good!

And it's a completely different tool, not just a mod of a current tool. Yup ... we could certainly use it!

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

✌️

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 20, 2024 Feb 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

still no update in 2024?........

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a grand total of five votes, it's clearly not that high on the vast majority of user's lists ... quite sadly to me, but ah well. I will posit for it again at NAB in April ... sigh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'll move this into the ideas forum, @Baffy19

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes