• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upper half of video is missing (black screen)

Community Beginner ,
Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

missing top half of video.jpg

I'm working with Adobe Premiere Pro CS6 and I have all updates installed. This is my first time posting and I've only been using CS6 for a few months so I'm still a newbie. That being said here's my dilemma: a project I had worked on yesterday without any issues is now missing the upper half of the video. I didn't have a problem before and this is the first time I'm having to deal with this. For some reason, the problem is only occuring when I use files larger than 1GB. When I switch to a lower quality video file that is 160MB, for example, I don't have the problem of missing the upper half of the video. I also tried exporting to see if the problem gets corrected during the export process but it also comes out missing the upper half of the video. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Marisela

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Jul 10, 2013 Jul 10, 2013

We have experienced the exact same issue in our software product.  We have narrowed it down to windows updates under MS bulliten MS13-057.  Specifically, on XP kb2834904 and on windows 7 kb2803821.

For us, it occurs when decoding WMV9 files.  Not all uses of WMV decoding are affected, but I confirmed that when connecting the WMV decode DLL to a sample grabber for RGB32 video, the frames arrive black on top, so that points directly to decoding internals of the WMV Decode dll.

You can uninstall thes

Votes

Translate

Translate
Dec 13, 2013 Dec 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 03, 2014 Jan 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I had this problem some days ago, then Premiere didn't show the issue. Maybe the latest Microsoft update was applied. Today I went to render the project to see that the exported file is missing the upper part (while Premiere plays it fine). I found this forum and uninstalled the update. Then this is what happened:

- After uninstallation I rebooted the PC and the problem appeared when playing the file (not just after rendering)

- Checked the MS updates and found the update kb2803821 there again! So uninstalled it

- After rebooting again, the update kb2803821 isn't under MS updates and now the video plays fine but exports with the upper part missing...

So the solution isn't really working for me.

I'm running Premiere CC under Windows 7

Anybody here has the problem when exporting only?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So just for the record, I found a solution to this.

I have an AMD Radeon HD 7700 that has Mercury Playback Engine GPU Acceleration (OpenCL) in Adobe Media Encoder. If I turn this to Mercury Playback Engine Software Only then the video renders fine though it takes longer.

Now a new problem has arisen. I'm making videos with V-Screen. The BG is a JPG and the keyed front image is an WMV. So now when I render the WMV appears slightly missplaced! I just noticed this recently as before it wasn't happening. So I don't know what it is related to.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 18, 2014 Feb 18, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

a new problem has arisen.

You should post a new thread with all the details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 18, 2013 Jul 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much for the screen shots!

All better! Glad to know I'm not alone!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 19, 2013 Jul 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for the effort in solving this with AE. I too found this problem with .wmv file imports in the last couple of weeks and quick removal of the Microsoft update solve the problem.  

-----

To answer the question "Why .wmv files?"

In my case I don't use AF professionally, only for web videos and presentations as part of my wider work.

The .wmv files come straight from the webcam into AF for final editing.

(NOTE:  The first time I had this issue a week ago I thought it was an error on my PC (Windows 7 Pro. 64-bit) and I processed the .wmv file through Roxio editor first just to convert it into an AVI file, then into AE.  It was an elaborate  way to  solve the problem until I found the fix here but just about workable.  So not all editors are dependent on the file-processing in the same way as Abode products.)

I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for when anyone can tell us all that Microsoft have fixed the issue with an alternative update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2013 Jul 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect.I wondered what had happened. Thank you for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Amazing! I ran into this problem yesterday and after troubleshooting and trying to workaround this situation with no success I searched and read this thread. I uninstalled windows 7 kb2803821 security update and it solved my problem. Thanks guys! I appreciate your time and knowledge so much. YOU ALL ROCK!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 23, 2013 Jul 23, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that fix it works great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 14, 2013 Aug 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your instructions were spot on. Just came across same problem today..you fixed it. Can't thank you all here enough for discovering the fix. Tell Adobe, I said you should all get FREE software upodates when the next version comes out. And same with Microsoft.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you TalbotMcInnis! Uninstalling that kb2803821 update was the trick. I knew it had to be connected to the MS update, but did not know where to start. And thank you Marisela and Adobe Forums for getting the conversation started! I really appreciate you all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a million, TalbotMcInnis - I was running up to a deadline and

didin't need that kind of stress.

-Bernaldo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have narrowed it down to windows updates under MS bulliten MS13-057.

Holy crap, man, how did you ever figure that out?!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am glad everyone is able to use this short term work-around, but windows update have a habit of coming back unannounced.  We need to find a better solution, which very likely requires getting Microsoft to acknowledge the bug and release a hotfix or update.  Do Adobe staff monitor these threads?  They will have better channels to Microsoft than any of us pleebs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 11, 2013 Jul 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>  Do Adobe staff monitor these threads?

Yes. I'll be looking into this tomorrow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 30, 2013 Aug 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

We have narrowed it down to windows updates under MS bulliten MS13-057.

Holy crap, man, how did you ever figure that out?!

ROFL I wondered that as well.

MS13-054...

MS13-055....

*mops forehead, sips coffee*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2013 Jul 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU --- was in a flat panic since yesterday on an overdue ;-( project and then this issue crept in and detroyed any hope that was left. This saved my day. And btw no need to reboot ... as soon as the update was uninstalled Premiere pro came right. Also worked for total black video

+100 to Adobe forums ... I am SO happy now. This probably saved me a plane trip to customer site. BOOOH to Microsoft upades - I immediately disabled auto updates on the remote machine I was using to finalize my project files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2013 Aug 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did the uninstall of the windows update and still the images came in as half - then i checked the action profile and unchecked "Scale to Frame size" and the full images appear but smaller - the titles are now below the image where they were set within the image.  Is there another way to format the slideshow to fix this?  Also, when the update took place, many of my wmv files were lost.  I'm working from the auto-save and preview files that remained in my back up.

thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 11, 2013 Aug 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't just uninstall the update, you need to reboot, and make sure you're PC's not re-installing the update when it reboots.

If you rendered any wmv files when the update was in effect, those files will have the half black screen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2013 Aug 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank goodness I found this thread. Same problem. Last minute fix for exporting finished shows. Whew!

Thanks!

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John,

Glad that you got to the bottom of your issue. That MS Update bit a lot of people, and the Adobe forums are full of posts from the victims.

An Adobe engineer posted (not sure if it was in this, or one of many similar threads), that MS had acknowledged the issue, and was working to issue an Update, where this would be fixed. I have yet to hear that MS has completed the work, and released a new Update, but would expect that to be soon.

Good luck,

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Question occurs to me...

I've turned off Automatic Updates.

How do I know which ones are necessary/safe in the future?

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Automatic Updatates isn't essential.

You can choose to select "Notify me of updates before installing" than select all those except the offender until MS fix the issue.

On ths subject of the offending Security Fix.  This update is defined by MS as a critical update, fixing a vulnerability when dealing with .wmv files you're exposed to (downloads, etc.) so this is something you need to be aware of, either avoid downloads/web viewing or install the fix temporarily if you have to expose yourself to foreign .wmv files, then uninstall it (and reboot your PC) when you have to go back to editing, or find a safe way to convert any .wmv file you plan to use for editing.

And if you have a facebook or other scial network you might want to like or link to this for all the others in the world suffering with this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as you suggest, I always have updates for every program on my computer, set to "Notify Me," and then I can download and install them, as I want, when I want. Normally, I will first create a System Restore Point, before I do most updates.

Hunt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't and won't speak for Microsoft, but I will say that we have tested a fix from them that showed progress. We'll let you know as soon as we know about a publicly available fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines