Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Upscale video hi-8mm to 2k?

New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!
Working on an older project and shot on Hi-8mm and DV, framed for widescreen and wondering if it's better to upscale to 2k in Boris or PP directly and then what additional filters to use to "clean it up" and make 24p, etc?

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you say 'Boris' what do you mean? If 'Boris 'Continuum' installed in Premiere Pro then use the 'upscale' plugin to upscale in a Premiere Pro 1920x1080 sequence. There's also Boris Dropout Fixer (going to need a lot of that with Hi-8 :),

Boris Video noise reduction. + Boris DV Fixer etc. 

One of my older favorite tools for upscaling old SD interlaced footage is Revision FX deinterlacer. 

But lately I've been using Topaz Video Enhance AI. It does a pretty amazing job in getting SD material to HD & 4K. Not cheap though ... but then none of these tools are.

If cost is constrained and you want to use tools you probably already have - process your footage through After Effects. It has very good temporal noise reduction and a 'detail preserving upscale' plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,  Have you tried latest versions of Topaz with the built in Deinterlace - Miracle level for a workflow now that you can do it all in in one pass (an options for another pass if you want something else).  I was desperate a few years back to turn some old blackberry 3gp video into something usable and was amazed.  Started trying out other footage like old 8mm, and digital8 wedding video friends had and shocking good results in most cases.  Early versions had some issues with faces, but the latest versions work well.  The Chronos framerate/Slomo has also been helpful,  still must be careful with Chronos with some trial and error but it's been handy.

I would LOVE to see Adobe buy out Topaz and put some serious money behind the tech, or at least work with them to get a plug-in option.  NVIDIA worked with them last year to recode for Cuda performance updates, to get onto NVidia radar means they are goign places.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I noted Topaz in the previous post ... it's pretty great. Used recently to upscale 1960's Black&White Vietnam War film footage (SD) to 4K and then scaled back down to HD for a documentary. Simply amazing results. Looking closely, Topaz was adding detail that could barely previously be seen. Looking like it's algorithm was doing some sort of temporal detail analysis (not sure how it *really* works).

It sharpened jagged low resolution edges into sharp diagonal lines (some Tank scenes for instance) and made faces much clearer.

Some scenes caused Topaz to have issues - mind you some of the footage was very poor original quality - but overall - very, very impressed.*

Same too for Zoom recordings - not quite as impressive, but taking a 640x360 zoom recording to HD is never going to be perfect .. but again made it significantly better. Faces (on zoom recordings) did not get any real resolution boost but the backgrounds looked almost full HD res.

* I do not work for Topaz and I paid full price for the app (missed out on the discount).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you! Yes, I have Boris Uprez but I'll look at AE... didn't think of
using that. My plan is to first upscale footage then edit. Thank you!

--
Tony Tilton
General Manager, MCAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good Luck. You might want to experiment on a short clip and see the differences between the options you have. Boris Upres *may* be better (or more time effient) than AE's Detail preserving upscale - I don't know. Also the order you apply the effects *may* affect the quality. Boris's noise reduction may be faster than AE's. AE's temporal noise reduction is slow - but very good ... and again you need to experiment with the noise reduction settings. Too much will soften the image and look weird. You might apply noise reduction first and upscale second but the reverse may also look better/different. Try a few things if you have the time. Ideally you'd want to deinterlace somewhere in there too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have borisFX and Topaz Video Enhance AI.

I would strongly suggest you use Topaz (it's not much money) - it does miracles with old footage.  It now can deinterlace and upscale same time, it also removes noise etc....  You can scale up to 8k if you want.  They have a trial version if you want to take it for a spin.

They also now have a slomo AI engine that can change frame rates if you want to try that.   If you want to stay inside of premier and BorisFX for this, I'll let others answers as I stopped using BorisFX for this type of work a few years back because Topaz is so much better.

Its also on sale,  I dont think the price is expesive... $199 right now for a few more days...  I also use Edge, and it always seems to prompt me to enter a coupon code it has for an extra 15%.   The  nice thing about this software the reasonable upfront costs, and  optional $99 for renewals annual, but if not you own the version when you stop the 'update' program payments.  so not subscription based if you dont want.

FlyingFourFun_0-1636679804376.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What did you use to import the Hi-8 video tapes? Does the final output have to be 2K at 24P?

It might be best to export at 60P. You can upscale at 80%, 150% or even 300% but instead of seeing individual strands of hair it might start to look like rabbit fur. I see people use cheap USB capture devices along with Virtual Dub and Handbrake with horrible results. They jump through a lot of hoops but in the end the hair turns to rabbit fur when upscaled and the whites are to bright and the shadows get crushed to black. The video below at eight minutes has a few sample clips of VHS tapes using a DV converter upscaled to HD. I am not saying my method is the best method. I am just showing the end results when using Premiere Pro and a Firewire based DV converter. Your method might produce much better results. That being said I would like to see some sample clips from people using Topaz. If the results look amazing maybe I will invest in Topaz and change my method. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Topaz has a trial that's free, and here is a decent primer:

Topaz Labs Video Enhance AI Tutorial - YouTube

I can't show you anything based on the contracts for the context I work with.  But there is tons of stuff on youtube.

I have been finding that a capture of the content in its native format with no conversion is best.  For example, a 480i video is captured at 480i and then use topaz to convert to the end state required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Fyingfourfun,

Contracts? I used to work for the Cable Commission so I am very familiar with work for hire contracts but those contracts do not apply here. For example, I am sure Alec Baldwin signs more exhaustive contracts than you but those contracts would not stop him from capturing VHS tapes of his family and uploading them to Facebook.  Having said that simply take any VHS tape that "you own" and up scale it to 1920 X 1080 and let us see the results. Your video links for the Topaz software were nothing more than a dog and pony show. I could give the illusion that my method ads more detail through the magic of editing which is what they did. I am not saying Topaz does not have great results but a sample of your method (hardware and software) would be hepful to the original poster. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also; this video shows off the deinterlace from an old 480i tape;

Can A.I. Tool Turn Old Video into Crispy 4K? - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines