• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Using copyrighted music in a showreel for university

Contributor ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently finishing up some showreels for my university interview at the end of the month. A tutor has suggested I add some music but has recommended I use copyright free music. I would, ideally, like to add some music from a game soundtrack, but I'm unsure what I should do as it's a bit of a grey area. It is for personal use so I don't really see it as a problem, but what does everyone reckon...? Should I add some copyrighted music or get something that's copyright free?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not a lawyer, but MY definition of personal use would not include a public showing such as you describe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The game's music is almost certainly copyrighted, no grey area there.

Search around for Royalty Free Music.  You'll find something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay. What about using a cover version of a licensed track? Would that be okay?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming the cover band had permission to record the track, it's still copyrighted.

You need royalty free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 17, 2021 Oct 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yeah, I've gotten copyright claims on a feature film I produced recently in YouTube using library music I had rights to use. I did find a tool recently using AI generated music that you won't get claims on because it's the way their terms of service are set up.

Here are my thoughts on the tool. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28CLrhMN6oo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines