Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video color changes after posting to Instagram

New Here ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I was trying to upload a video created on Adobe to Instagram and i noticed that the color was changing noticeably. Can anyone suggest how to sort this issue out?

Thanks.

OriginalVideo.jpg

InstagramVideo.jpg

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

I think here is the answer, 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6PcsKRmXS8

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The first step is to set up the proper viewing conditions.  You need one of the following.

1. A dedicated I/O device (AJA Kona, Blackmagic Intensity, etc.) feeding the best quality calibrated display you can afford.

2. An export of the video played from hardware to the best quality calibrated display you can afford.

How it looks on that calibrated display is all that you can control.  How it looks anywhere else is beyond your control.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you import the file back into Pr and it looks good then its an Instagram issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Color is dependent on devices using a color standard and having all devices calibrated to that standard. I don't think there's any way to have an actual standard across apps & devices. None exist that I am aware of.

Ergo ... you can't have an exact thing in PrPro and have it appear on any other screen exactly the same. No one can. You've never seen any broadcast material exactly like it was seen in the editing suite either!

It's Life in the Fast Lane ... sigh.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello! I just found this thread because the same thing is happening to me! Now that I see the pictures of your issue, I am starting to believe Instagram has trouble displaying certain greens. my video has green and white stripes. The green stripes are supposed to be more teal. When played on Instagram the green turns bright green! Lmk if you figured a solution out. This problem has never happened to me before so i really think Instagram has trouble with greens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 22, 2019 May 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be Instagram, it could be the browser, it could be the operating system, it could be the screen.

That's why you can only judge the image under the proper viewing conditions.  You can't judge it once it's online.  There's just too many variables that will alter the appearance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2019 Sep 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My teal colors in videos also turn more bright green on Instagram as well as on Facebook. Thumbnail picture is right, but as soon as the video starts playing colors change. I think I just stop posting videos with teal/green colors.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2022 Jun 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its not just greens But it's happening to me too and extremely annoying! Will much appreciate it if yall let me know how to tackle this 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having a similar problem- the color darkens/desaturates but only on playback. Any idea why this might be happening?

I've read that insta supports mp4 and mov files but i haven't been able to upload mov from an iPhone, or from any program that will give me carousel capabilities.

trying to create a seamless video carousel, below is a test.

photos are of the seam in the post preview, and then the seam after they've been posted

These are exported from ae as quicktime mov then converted in media encoder to mp4. color difference happens at 4k as well as 600dpi and with pro res codec and animation codec. Mb is always 5mb or lower.

IMG_2317 2.PNG

IMG_2316.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2019 Jul 18, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've noticed this as well. What is strange is that whenever you upload a video, it's uploaded on instagram and playback is fine. It's when you upload a second image/video, then go back to the original one the color shifts. I look back at previous videos a few months ago and this did not happen. This seems recent, beyond the color shift is a major shift in quality as well - there is some type of compression happening to the content within Instagram. I'm not sure the work around, curious to see if anyone else starts to notice this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 14, 2019 Aug 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gotten to me as well... The plain background of an animation gets all screwed up as soon as the video starts playing, and mind that this is in both the feed and the story so nothing at all seems to be right

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 11, 2023 May 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Facing same issue.. Anybody able to figure out reason for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2023 Jun 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think here is the answer, 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6PcsKRmXS8

Instagram sometimes changes the colour of your image when you upload it onto their platform. This is because Instagram or the internet for that matter works on a colour space called SRGB, but most pro cameras take photos on ProPhoto RGB which the internet, or the naked eye does not recognize. Sony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines