• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video image without alpha channel either also partially transparent or has a "halo" of white

Explorer ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Looking for some guidance on complications with removing a background to isolate an image. Have been attempting to isolate an image off of a background but every attempt produces a different result than the once I am looking for...a clean image...

I have even taken this into After Effects to try and fix there with no luck. But have tried keying (luma & color) and if I do either of these it still will give me a brightened image with a "halo" - note my opacity blend mode is 'normal.' Then if I don't do any keying but change the blend mode to mulitply, it will actually get rid of the "halo" but then my image is way more transparent and I can't get it to not be. 

Codecs: Timecode, Linear PCM, Apple ProRes 4444

*This was run through ME to get to the format above...original was MPEG-4 ACC H.264

Working on: Apple M1 Pro 

Have another video that this is also doing this with...

MPEG-4 ACC, Timed Metadata, HEVC

I included an image of what both outputs look like...

1st image is with the normal opacity blend mode and luma key

2nd image is with the mulitply opacity blend mode - removes the unwanted "halo" but now its transparency has increased trifold.

At a loss for what I am doing wrong and appreciate all the advice.

Thanks,

Kai

TOPICS
Editing , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 26, 2024 Apr 26, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is your subject shot in front of a Green Screen background?

the 'keying' you mentioned is actually 'blending modes' and not keying.

you can try Keylight or Linear Color Key inside After Effects. Or try Keying inside Premiere Pro.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 29, 2024 Apr 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hey 🙂

It is on a white background and I had already tried keying (luma, color, alpha adjust, and ultra key) but hadn't done a combination of any of them. So, the blend mode was the only thing that was getting my close to what I needed (but with the issues stated). There is still some opacity issues within the shirt but tried using both luma & color key in PP and it still gave me a small white outline or halo that I need to remove. Added Ultra key as well (so have 3 different keys lol) and this seems to have gotten me the closest to ideal. Like I mentioned, still have some full opacity in the shirt but, this is minimal/almost unnocticable. 

Thank you so much for the help and ideas of what else to attempt with this. Hope it will work with my other white background clips. 

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines