Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Video not showing up but I can hear it

Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

I'm relatively new to Premiere Pro, but I've edited a few videos without encountering this issue.

I dragged and dropped my video into the application like I usually do, but this time when I press play I can't see anything.

I hear the audio and it looks as though it should be playing, but it's just black. I've tried deleting/clearing the media cache and updating the GPU, but still nothing. I figure I'm doing something wrong, just can't put my finger on it. I've looked at countless YouTube videos with no luck. Any recommendations? I've attached a photo for reference.

Capture.JPG

Thanks in advance!

Katherine

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Hi, I just encountered the exact same problem. All I tried was close the app and open it back again and it worked properly then! Don't save your changes, click no and close the application. Open it again and import the same files and it works! I know this was posted 3 years ago, but hope this helps users encountering this problem now!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Hello All,

A "black screen" is often due to lack of system resources. Try rebooting the computer as an initial troubleshooting step. Make sure that you are also meeting system requirements. Please also check the Help menu for the System Compatibility Report for clues as to the lack of resources for your computer to playback your footage reliably. Project Settings > General > Video Rendering and Playback > Renderer set to Mercury Playback Engine Software Only can also work around this issue: lack

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What part of the workspace do you 'drop' your asset into?

Could we see a screen shot of the Media Browser Tab listing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm dropping the asset directly into the timeline. I've attached the photo of what I think you asked for.Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 12.49.02 PM.png

Twirl open that line C: (Windows) so you can see the asset

Delete the Audio and Video tracks from the Timeline

Drag the asset from the Project Pane up into the Source Monitor

From there drag both tracks to the Timeline.

Video should show in Program pane.

Screen Shot 2018-01-04 at 1.26.25 PM copy.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Katherine,

Check Project Settings > General. Under Video Rendering and Playback. Choose Renderer > Mercury Playback Engine Software Only.

Does it work now?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still no luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turned off GPU Acceleration for rendering and playback. That fixed our issue on 8 pcs that used to work without a hitch. Thanks for that step. Not my usual troubleshooting thought on boxes that didn't have the issue in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

I'm still have difficulties. I've tried all the suggestions people gave me but nothing has worked. Do you have any other recommendations?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi KatherineG,

What kind of GPU do you have? If you have the Intel UHD 620 and/or NVIDIA 750M, please update your video drivers. Tip from our support agents: Update NVIDIA drivers downloaded directly from the NVIDIA website.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happened to me today. Odd thing is that it just started happening on two pcs (same model) and NOT on two others (same other model) with the exact same footage. All run the latest version of all CC apps. I'm thinking of looking into video drivers first but this is the first time I've hit this issue and I bounce to a lot of machines here at work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What model PC were you using when you had this problem? I'm using a Latitude 3570.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Follow Step 2C below,  then bring the clip to the Source Monitor.  Does it play?

Unofficial Premiere Pro Troubleshooting Guide

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it still only plays sound and shows blackness.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK.

Perform Step 2H and then 2C.

If that doesn't work, go with Step 2I and then 2C.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2020 Apr 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Katherine,

Turning of GPU acceleration worked for me. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I just encountered the exact same problem. All I tried was close the app and open it back again and it worked properly then! Don't save your changes, click no and close the application. Open it again and import the same files and it works! I know this was posted 3 years ago, but hope this helps users encountering this problem now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 11, 2021 Jun 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Prakriti,

Thanks for your input. Appreciated!

Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Heya!

This seems to work for me too, thanks a bunch!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello All,

A "black screen" is often due to lack of system resources. Try rebooting the computer as an initial troubleshooting step. Make sure that you are also meeting system requirements. Please also check the Help menu for the System Compatibility Report for clues as to the lack of resources for your computer to playback your footage reliably. Project Settings > General > Video Rendering and Playback > Renderer set to Mercury Playback Engine Software Only can also work around this issue: lack of system resources.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 06, 2022 Mar 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi I've encountered a similar thing, so I put a clip on my timeline and that clip looks great then I drag a second clip on my timeline and it's black. I see the clip on my timeline but after the first clip stops showing and when the second clip should start theres nothing could someone let me know if I'm doing anything wrong please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2022 Mar 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm expeiencing the same problem.  I thought it was because the clip had a frame rate of 23.976 on a 59.94 sequence.  I changed the video to 59.94 and it still didn't work.  Can someone please help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines