Videos sent on Whatsapp lose the Creation Date metadata - any ways to retrieve the Creation Date?

New Here ,
May 28, 2022 May 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am editing a wedding video from hundreds of mobile phone videos captured at the wedding. To make this easier for myself, I hoped to order them by 'creation date' in the metadata display section of Premiere but unfortunately, a lot of the videos were sent to me on Whatsapp, which means not only were they slightly compressed but also renamed and the metadata sets the creation date as the date they were sent to me, not the date the original file was created.

I hope this makes sense.

Can anyone think of any solutions here? It would save me a lot of time if I could simply lay down the videos in time and date order.

Any help much appreciated, thanks.

TOPICS
Editing , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My experience is limited, but I also found such issues with What's app.

I just saved a video from what's app, hoping that metadata was luring somewhere.

When saved, the filename includes the date of the message. But the file itself is dated today, the date of the save. Mediainfo usually shows a caption date, but it shows NO DATE at all.

I brought this into Lightroom, the easiest was for me to look at all metadata. Nothing useful for date.

I had a similar situation recently with a personal vacation video where friends sent me pix. But I insisted on dropbox solely for the quality drop. Total pain for those situations where there was an inaccurate date.

Stan

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comments Stan, I was hoping there might be a way to retrieve the original metadata but it seems Whatsapp turns it into a completely new file, it's really frustrating for editors.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

They are going to be far more interested in privacy then meta-data. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines