• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wave2 control surface audio mutes on scrub

Contributor ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone using a Tangent Wave2 control surface know how to turn on audio scrub for the jog function?

If I jog via my mouse -- i.e., mouse-dragging the read head along my timeline -- I hear audio scrub.  This helps me position my cuts.  I want to keep this, while moving more of my touch away from mouse and onto the Wave2.  The Wave2's dedicated jog dial moves the read head position nicely, but produces no audible audio scrub.

• Toggling "play audio while scrubbing" (in PrP / Edit / Preferences / Audio) does not fix.
  • Wave2 manual says nothing about audio scrubbing mute/unmute.
  • No shift/ctrl/alt/etc. combination used with the Wave2 jog dial enables audio scrub.
  • I can't find any posts on this forum, or via Google.
  • Tangent does not seem to have a user forum on their website.
  • My installation of Tangent Mapper is up to date (ver 2.4.2).
  • https://www.tangentwave.co.uk/tangent-support/ says there are no firmware updates for the Wave2 (i.e., factory firmware is all there is to date).
  • I've tried PrP 14.0, 14.9, and 15.2 -- makes no difference.
  • I've tried using the original "Tangent" control surface in PrP / Edit / Preference / Control Surface, and "Tangent Extended" -- makes no difference.

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Hardware or GPU , How to , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Elements panel has the Jog & Shuttle as a "toggle" thing. When in Jog mode, there's not audio scrubbing, but in Shuttle mode, there is. I rarely use the Shuttle though. Doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

I don't know why ... I can ask the Tangent engineers though. It may take a few days to get an answer.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, Thanks for the offer!  Yes, please ask Tangent for comment.  I don't mind it taking a few days for an expert / OEM engineer's answer!  Meanwhile, I'll keep using mouse-scrub for sound cues for my cuts (>90% of cuts).

Wave2 commits shuttle to buttons, and jog to a dial (fig 1).  When I shuttle using Wave2, it plays audio (at 1x, 2x, & 4x playback speeds & in both directions).  But I want the easy precise control of jog, to stop easily & tightly on one frame.  It is such as shame not to be able to use that nice fat jog dial on the Wave2 for that.

The fact that jog, via Wave2, plays back muted - regardless of PrP's "play audio while scrubbing" setting - is for me the bug. 

(I can imagine some software sophistication where users might want one mode, say mouse scrubbing, to be silent, and the other, say Wave2 jog dial scrubbing, to play audio.  But that would require some kind of preferences setting in the Tangent interface, and the GUI for the Wave2's Tangent Mapper seems limited to just mapping keyboard inputs to the Wave2's buttons, dials, & balls.  But via the bug, the Wave2 is already giving this split behavior [for jog via mouse vs. jog via Wave2].  Just not the pairing I want [dial with audio, mouse without].)

Wave2.PNG

There is also of course the keyboard shuttle functions which give various fine-tuning options to shuttle speed, to help pick a clip's in/out position more precisely (fig 2).  These are not at all bad.  But again, jog is just more precise, more intuitive, and I want to use that lovely big jog dial on the Wave2.

shuttle keyboard PrP.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2021 Jul 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got that and a couple other things on an email to the engineers. We'll wait for the reply ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this still an unanswered question? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 15, 2022 Feb 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I need to get back to them on it.

Neil

(Edit: email sent to ask about this issue.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Neil... I ask because I just recently got a Wave2; had been using a Loupedeck CT for a few years now and really like how it's shuttle/jog works. Long story short, Loupedeck and Tangent extension software does NOT coexist well in the Premiere environment, so I decided to jetison the Lopuedeck for Premiere and keep the Wave2, which is far more advanced in tactile Lumetri control, and "good enough" for transport/editing; except that it doesn't natively scrub audio when jogging.

I discovered that you can remap the right-most shuttle/jog knob with keyboard shortcut commands "left arrow" and "right arrow," which then mimics the keyboard's native ability to scrub the audio as you jog forward/backward. Is that what you've found? I don't see any other posts here about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting way to get the action you need. I do like how mappable the Tangent panels are in Premiere. My Elements panel is mapped to Hades and back!

Did you know you can map the audio track mixer controls? Both volume & pan ... you can map sizing/position/rotation of video or graphic elements to knobs & wheels ... it's really amazing how much different editing work you can do with these tools.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

We've checked our code and can confirm that our panel Jog functionality is simply provided by calling the Jog command in the Premiere API. So it's very unlikely that we can fix the lack of audio when jogging within our code. You did however imply that the Loupedeck CT does have audio when jogging - did I understand that correctly? If so then there must be a new, hidden API call for Jog which we haven't yet discovered!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines