• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What are ".mxfindex" files and can they be deleted?

Community Beginner ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We recently finished a multicamera project in Premiere Pro using multiple Canon c300 MXF files. Now, we ready to archive the project. However, there are several copies of the original source media for backup and also second working set for our second editor.

At some point during the editing process, a number of ".mxfindex" were generated in the same folder as the original ".mxf" files. I can't seem to find any information about why or when they were created. I can confirm they didn't come from the camera by looking at my offload log from ShotPut Pro.

Now, we need to clarify which copies to save (or if to save them at all). Is it something like an ".xmp" file that's saving metadata? Is it a temporary file that can be regenerated?

I've reached out by phone several times to Adobe Tech support on the phone and nobody including the senior guys seem to know exactly what this is. I've gotten conflicting information about saying it's both "very important and will break the folder structure" and also "it's temporary and can be deleted." Help!  

Any help or insight would be very appreciated. Thanks guys!

Screen Shot 2016-12-21 at 6.08.39 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 21, 2016 Dec 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried opening one with a basic text editor to see what's in there?

I'm puzzled also. I don't import much mxf, mostly use it as an export codec, and I've not seen this before. It's never shown up in any of my folders.

Maybe petergaraway​ might be able to shake this out.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 22, 2016 Dec 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Neil! See the below screenshot of the ".mxfindex" file in a text editor. largely not human-readable.

Here's a link to the actual file to inspect further if helpful: Dropbox - 0ed40193-bf8a-81f4-4f39-9ade00000024_E0000104.mxfindex

Looking at other projects we've completed using MXF source files, it seems like most do not have these ".mxfindex" files in the source folders. Perhaps it was an older version of Premiere that generated these?

Screen Shot 2016-12-22 at 12.07.04 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are files generated by PP upon import.  You can delete them.

If they're small enough, you can also keep them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply Jim. Can you elaborate as to what purpose they serve? Will they be regenerated when the project is opened again?

I'm aiming to fully understand the details as Adobe Support has told me "It will break the folder structure. It should NOT be deleted."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you elaborate as to what purpose they serve?

I cannot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - can any adobe staff member please respond on that??

I do not really understand what the forum is about - if the adobe staff itself does not simply respond on questions posted and solve the misterious bugs and issues that prevent a professional or at least reliable workflow - since this software is NOT for free and uses the term PRO-

i have the same question and apart form this post on mxfindex files -  i cant find anything on the net..

ALSO the issue with " al low level exception error occured:

see thread:

Premiere Pro CC Encoding Failed A low-level exception occurred in: Lumetri Color (AEVideoFilter)

NEVER has been solved or answered - except staff memebrs asking the useres what GPU, OSx etc they are using... to change settings in GPU -software only... mode  and different users responding the same over and over again

sorry, this is a complaint- since I recently started trying to work on a 4K Cinema project with the idea to do the edit on Premiere Pro - and since deciding this... i do not understand what the "Pro" refers, too.... ?

lots of very odd configurations I am stumbling over - actually a BIG Suggestion:

how about ADOBE - programmers seriously taking up problems and improvement suggestions - like it used to be in the OLD days, or with final cut when it was still professional.

AND then to make this software and media encoder and the proxie workflow actually work! I am willing to talk things through in detail,

for eg. since premiere and media encoder only crash when trying to ingest proxies (i tried various ways and ingests, external ssd for cache , etc..) using a strong 32 TB raid, i mac 5K, etc..

I tried resolve - and stangely it does everything so stable and reliable - how can this be?

How come adobe does nit run smoothly at all - if so expensive???

Many many thanks for a real analytical and solving answer on thread

Premiere Pro CC Encoding Failed A low-level exception occurred in: Lumetri Color (AEVideoFilter)

and what should not be to difficult on what are mxfindex files - and MOST important: How can I tell premiere pro  to NOT save them in my original source media folder - this should never be touched by a software, except for linking to the mother files (like raw straight of the XQD Cards - MXFs.

It freaks me out to keep finding metadata software files in there...

Yours sincerely,

a pedantic editor 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not really understand what the forum is about

For the most part, it's about users of Adobe software helping each other with issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, I see, i thought since it is hosted by adobe it would be more of a

"adobe support works hand in hand with and assists users +  how it used to be around 2000-2005  - that the software programmers/companies actually benefit from users experience feedback in the way that they rather immediately react on reported bugs and issues + sort of know everything about their product and how and why it operates the way it does.

sorry, please no one tak ethis personal, i am just really tired of how things have changed since mac and image work is a a lifestyle thing - and the pros are sort of left to be using what is given to them at the end of big players market strategies, fusions, business persepectives.. etc.

however - if somene could answer the questions I have, i will be super happy and thankful! and i will post more in the coming days and weeks for sure, and if i find soulutions on my end - of yource i ll be sharing them!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As to the wish that this was a more ... connected? ... forum with the PrPro development team or mainly staffed by Support staff ... well, yea, there's a lot that would love a better connection. For many issues, the ability of peers to jump in & help is actually quicker and more accurate than much of the help system. Not for all issues, but hey ... ain't life just special at times.

My experienced guess is that if the files were made by PrPro, that on re-opening the project, PrPro can probably re-make the files. It should be easy enough to test ... make a small project as you have been, do a couple things to get the mxfindex files showing up, close PrPro ... delete the files ... reopen PrPro loading that project ... and is the project still fully functional?

In your case, I would do that little test.

It's actually things like that which have been some of the more helpful postings on these forums ... Jim's spotted and trapped-out the odd unusual thing that saves others a ton of grief, and perhaps alerts the team through Product Support & the bug reports that something is really amiss. As have I and numerous others here. Which things, quite frequently, the team has gone on to fix. Occasionally, well ... it's not been fixed, but at least there's info out and available how to get around an issue.

Had I some of the media you're using, I would test it myself. Doesn't take long.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe Kevin-Monahan​ could pop in here ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello pedantic editor 🙂

Thanks for your thread, I agree with you 200%. The company just got too big and too fat during the past years, unfortunately. What can we do? Contact the CEO? Not pay anymore? It will be difficult to fight with the big adobe - they will always be in the right...

Some of us filmmakers make our living with Adobe tools. I hope Adobe is aware of that.

Very sad. Greetings,
a professional AND pedantic editor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines