• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What ExtendScript extension data types are most compatible with Adobe plugins?

Enthusiast ,
Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can an Adobe plugin simply & easily receive ExtendScript datatypes other than numbers & booleans?

I believe strings sent from from panel (ExtendScript) to plugin (C++) are a little clumsy?

What about JS arrays and JSON objects? What do they look like in the C++ context?

So far I've only seen errors when trying to send.

TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 23, 2022 Feb 23, 2022

You'd have to ask the plug-in developer; strings can get Complicated™. The ExtendScript API allows for getting and setting most data types used as effect parameters.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can an Adobe plugin simply & easily receive ExtendScript datatypes other than numbers & booleans?

No.

I believe strings sent from from panel (ExtendScript) to plugin (C++) are a little clumsy?

Works great for standard data types. 

What about JS arrays and JSON objects? What do they look like in the C++ context?

Undifferentiated blobs of data. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Undifferentiated blobs of data" - I think some of the 1960s Star Trek episodes features those in starring roles.

So booleans, numbers, and even strings -- strings are relatively straightforward on the plugin side?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'd have to ask the plug-in developer; strings can get Complicated™. The ExtendScript API allows for getting and setting most data types used as effect parameters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Developer says it's a little complicated, but he has a plan.  I was hoping for a way to make his life easier.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines