• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is the best Mac setup to edit 4K in Premiere Pro on seamlessly?

Community Beginner ,
Sep 07, 2021 Sep 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I keep having trouble with my computers and setups while editing 4K material on Premiere Pro. I have a kick ass PC and an ok Mac Book Pro and none of them can handle the material without stutter, lag and crashing. So I am going to upgrade and I need a reccamendation of what to get. If anybody does have a great set up that works properly with the newer Macs I would love to hear about it. 

TOPICS
Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although hardware is sometimes the issue when it comes to smooth playback, it's not always the case.  

Always a good idea to tell us your system specs: OS version, Premiere version, amount of RAM, Hardware specs including graphics card.    And how is your media stored and how is the drive connected to your computers?    And are your graphix card drivers up to date?    Do not use the game drivers...  that can cause issues.

And what are the properties of your source media?  Although Premiere can theoretically handle almost any format you throw at it, mpeg formats are NOT ideal for editing.  Transcoding to an all i-frame format like the appropriate flavor of prores, can help smooth playback issues.  Post back

Have you tried a proxy workflow?    Premiere has a rock-solid proxy workflow that although can be a little tricky to get your head around, once you've got it figured out, is simple...

And if you determine it is a hardware issue and you need to upgrade your system

this is a useful website in terms of figuring out the ideal hardware for premiere

https://www.pugetsystems.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you. Here is the speck for the PC computer

Platform Windows 10

HP Z440 Workstation

x64 based PC'Processor Intel(R) CPU ES 1660 v3 @300GHz, 3001

physical memory 64GB

Virtual 73,4

I am using a MyCloud network disk PR4100

proxys in same folder as media. - I wonder if I should put the proxies on an internal disk?

The mac is a MacBook Pro 2014 with 16GB ram it is an older machine so I would expect it to perhaps lag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 09, 2021 Sep 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
storing media on the cloud is usually a mistake unless you're using an
expensive solution. People frequently report issues here...
So I'd advise keeping both fullrez and proxies on a local disk. A fast ssd
would be best.

--
Michael Grenadier
917-362-3396
*www.michaelgrenadier.com <>*
mgrenadier@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The M1X chip should be here soon but it is possible some Macs might also have an option for Intel's Alder Lake CPUs. Which one is better when using Premiere Pro? I imagine Adobe has some Alder Lake CPUs and M1X CPUS but they cannot not let us know which one works best as of now. Having said that we should get some benchmarks next month. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines