• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What is your workflow for viewing, selecting and deleting rushes?

Explorer ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone, 

I'm new to video and trying to set myself up with a workflow for editing. After a shoot I'm finding I have perhaps around 200-300 mp4 shots to go through. A lot of these are outtakes and tests/experiments, which need weeding out from the good shots. I'm a stills photogrpher and I have the same sort of process to go through for stills, whereby my editing software allows me to easily trash the shots I don't want and mark the shots I do want. I was wondering how video editors deal with this process and I have a few specific questions:

- Do you view rushes in Premiere or in other software?

- What is the best way to view, trash and select clips?

- When shooting, do you record a new clip for each take, with the idea of making editing simpler? Or do you make several takes within the same clip, meaning that you have to view clips carefully to select the best take within it? What is normal here?

- In my stills editing software I can easily rename my files as they are imported. Shots imported from further cards are named and numbered where the last one left off. With video I'm just dragging my unnamed mp4 clips from the CF card onto my computer. Is there a go-to way to rename clips using Premiere or another software?

- Once you have your video edit completed, is there a way to automatically delete the clips you haven't used in your final timeline, in order to save hard drive space? 

Any help and advice appreciated. 

All best,

Thom 

TOPICS
Editing , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 27, 2022 Apr 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Transferring your files to your computer is very important.

I would use Media Browser which will let you hover scrub over the files to see which ones you would like to use. You can also click on the files and press spacebar to preview them, again before bringing them into your project.

After finding the files you like you can import them into Premiere. You can rename the metadata of a clip in Premiere. 

With Project Manager you can make a copy of your project and all files into a folder. After that process you can delete your original folder of files to clean things up if you like.

I hope that this answers some of your questions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 01, 2022 May 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for these tips - very helpful!

Are there any other workflows for these processes which people would recommend? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines