• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What replaced the video Channel Mixer effect?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Channel Mixer effect has been deemed, "obsolete. " I assume because of old code,  but what new effect can duplicate its features?  I use this effect to accurately and easily create monochrome RGB color seperations of color footage. (As if I shot on black and white film with an R, G, or B  filter.)  Once I have that channel seperation I use it on a layer above with the luminosoty blending mode to add customized color punch to the color footage below.    If I try to replicate this with Lumetri curves by pulling out the unwanted channels and desaturating it it does not produce the same image as the old channel mixer would.  Its density is wrong, its darker and it also does not behave properly when using a blending mode.   Is there an updated replacement for this or am I going to have to dynamic link to AE and use its channel mixer or suffer with the horrible realtime performance of the old effect? 

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 05, 2023 Jan 05, 2023

If something appears in the public beta, then we'll know they have a new effect. I'm not counting on it though. At this time, you need to head over to AfterEffects if you really need the channel mixer.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there's no current replacement for the Channel Mixer. I've asked about that but not got an answer past ... hmmm. So no clue there.

Yea, the code for it's old. Note that it doesn't have the lego blocks for either 32-bit float work or GPU acceleration. Meaning it only involves the CPU, of course.

But what's worse ... it takes the entire processing chain down from the normal 32-bit float to 8 bit. So when using this, use it AFTER any other effect that may touch on color. Probably use it as the last effect if possible.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that info Neil,  I suspected as much.  Its really too bad that they don't keep basic utility tools up to date.  They cram everything under the sun into Lumetri but it can't do a basic color separation correctly.   I use the effect on its own layer so I'm not sure how/if that affects other layers?  Do all layers become 8 bit if any one is 8 bit?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you apply an 8-bit effect, it reduces the entire chain to 8 bit at that point.

So ... for an 8-bit say H.264 project, as the last step in the processing chain it's ok mostly sort of. The following export is 8-bit anyway, but you DON'T want any other color effects after it.

If you want a 10-bit output ... well, it's not really 10 bit as the image after that effect has only 256 levels.

I would like a new channel mixer too. And they've added a few things to Lumetri over the last several years, but not that much. It's still not nearly as fully capable as SpeedGrade was when they EOLd that back in 2015. There's a lot of correction capabilities Lumetri is still missing.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you dynamic link to after effects channel mixer? it's 32bpc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be nice if they simply moved the Ae channel mixer over to PrPro ... not that I've only asked about that maybe 20 times ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 21, 2022 Apr 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I definitely NEED an up-to-date VIDEO CHANNEL MIXER to properly colorgrade the diving videos of my GoPro. Nothing in the current Lumetri pannel is close to matching as easily the results of the "obsolete" mixer. Whom should I request it in order to add my voice to yours? In 50 years instead of 1 century, we might succeed in getting it 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to their Premiere Pro UserVoice  system, search and/or post.

How do you use that for 'normal" color work? Fascinated to hear.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Neil,

I'm more visual than expert. The purpose was to find a quicker way to colorgrade properly diving videos that are notoriously lacking red and green. A brazilian diver called Gustavo Vier created a preset based on the Video Channel Mixer and I got inspiration from him and other youtube tutorials, with a little bit of practice and experimentations.

Fine-tuning one by one each color channel in the Vectorscope YUV in order to get a waveforme as thin as possible and as stretched withing the R-Mg-t-Cy-G-Yl boundaries (without crossing them).

With a bit of practice, it is VERY quick and the result is impressive, especially with videos taken beyond 15 meters deep. An example Before/After with a shooting12 meters deep.

Best regards,

Jean-Marie 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's really cool! I so love how varied "our" working processes and media are.

And if you can dropbox me a clip, I could have a go at working with the Lumetri controls to get a preset or LUT for you to test.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With pleasure, Neil.
Do you have an email address I can use to transfer the video to you?
Best regards,
Jean-Marie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine is jm.chauvois@gmail.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The clip is ready in a wetransfer dropbox, with a link available during one week from today.

Waiting news from you in order to send you the link.

The message with this clip is :

Hi Neil
This is Jean-Marie. Here is a video you can play with. The interest of it is the following :
- taken ~20 m deep
- a few colors of reference : The Nitrox sign on some bottles is Yellow letters on pale green ; the rolled marker buoy on divers' side is bright redish-orange ; light hose and fins are yellow
- good light but water full of particles/plancton
Very interested in you answer and LUT/Preset.

BR,

Jm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How big is the clip? I'm on the road (Vegas for NAB) and don't have regular wifi/internet available, I'm having to do a mobile hotspot with my phone. Though my capablities in Premiere are limited on this laptop also.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 23, 2022 Apr 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Around 700 Mb. No hurry, Neil. This can wait your return. I will reload the clip whenever you tell me you are ready.

Have a nice trip.

Jm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, any updates here? I would be very interested in a Lumetri Version ... as mee too I am an underwater filmmaker and missing hte channel mixer 🙂

Cheers

Vanessa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 26, 2022 May 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vanessa,

I advise you to stick to the Color Channel Mixer available in Premiere Pro for the time being, even if it is in the obsolete section.

This video effect is very powerful and the lumetri effects cannot compete with it, by far.

I also purchased some underwater LUTs that are completely useless and overestimated, according to my experience, so far. 

The Color Channel Mixer is still working even if it is a bit touchy and causes Premiere Pro to crash from time to time. Be aware you have to save your work on a regular basis in order to avoid loosing it.

Anyway I'm confident in the fact that Adobe will develop another up-to-date Color Channel Mixer for Premiere Pro. If not and if this fabulous tool disapear, I have to say I will loose all interest in Premiere Pro.

Basically, that's it.

A brazilian guy named Gustavo Vier made available his preset on internet based on the Color Channel Mixer. I thank him every time I produce a new underwater video. You have to tune it, afterwards, sequence by sequence. To install a preset, look at youtube which is full of tutorials.

Best regards,

Jean-Marie

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I don't have the channel mixer ob my PR CC 2022 for MAC... it is not under the obsolete effects ???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to hear it.
I have the french Windows version of Premiere Pro, with the Cloud
subscription.
Expensive, unfortunately.
The "Mixeur de couches" (Channel Mixer) is in the "Obsolète" (Obsolete)
section of "Effets vidéo" (Video effects).

A lot of people talk about Premiere Pro CC. I don't know what the CC is
standing for ? I know only the Premiere Pro in its cloud subscription.

Best regards,

Jm

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update - I found a way around the old channel mixer for my specific needs.  I created the RG&B monochrome channel mixer effects in Photoshop and saved them as individual LUTS.   In Premiere Lumetri loads them and I get the same look as the old channel mixer but with full acceleration and color depth.  Also less clunky than AE linked comp which was the only other current option. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2022 May 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

would you share the LUTs you created in PS? I have no clue how the process is here... 🙂

Let me know and I'll pass you my email.. if not, no worries 🙂

Cheers

Vanessa

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vanessa,  happy to share these - just let me know where to send them to. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would so appreciate these as well. Currently in a bind on how to use a workaround of no channel mixer in the obsolete folder. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 22, 2023 May 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Happy to zip them and email if you want.  They are small .cube files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2023 Oct 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Very kind of you, thak you! DM'ing you now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines