Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

What replaced the video Channel Mixer effect?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Channel Mixer effect has been deemed, "obsolete. " I assume because of old code,  but what new effect can duplicate its features?  I use this effect to accurately and easily create monochrome RGB color seperations of color footage. (As if I shot on black and white film with an R, G, or B  filter.)  Once I have that channel seperation I use it on a layer above with the luminosoty blending mode to add customized color punch to the color footage below.    If I try to replicate this with Lumetri curves by pulling out the unwanted channels and desaturating it it does not produce the same image as the old channel mixer would.  Its density is wrong, its darker and it also does not behave properly when using a blending mode.   Is there an updated replacement for this or am I going to have to dynamic link to AE and use its channel mixer or suffer with the horrible realtime performance of the old effect? 

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Jun 20, 2021 Jun 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there's no current replacement for the Channel Mixer. I've asked about that but not got an answer past ... hmmm. So no clue there.

Yea, the code for it's old. Note that it doesn't have the lego blocks for either 32-bit float work or GPU acceleration. Meaning it only involves the CPU, of course.

But what's worse ... it takes the entire processing chain down from the normal 32-bit float to 8 bit. So when using this, use it AFTER any other effect that may touch on color. Probably use it as the last effect if possible.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that info Neil,  I suspected as much.  Its really too bad that they don't keep basic utility tools up to date.  They cram everything under the sun into Lumetri but it can't do a basic color separation correctly.   I use the effect on its own layer so I'm not sure how/if that affects other layers?  Do all layers become 8 bit if any one is 8 bit?

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you apply an 8-bit effect, it reduces the entire chain to 8 bit at that point.

So ... for an 8-bit say H.264 project, as the last step in the processing chain it's ok mostly sort of. The following export is 8-bit anyway, but you DON'T want any other color effects after it.

If you want a 10-bit output ... well, it's not really 10 bit as the image after that effect has only 256 levels.

I would like a new channel mixer too. And they've added a few things to Lumetri over the last several years, but not that much. It's still not nearly as fully capable as SpeedGrade was when they EOLd that back in 2015. There's a lot of correction capabilities Lumetri is still missing.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

can you dynamic link to after effects channel mixer? it's 32bpc.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would be nice if they simply moved the Ae channel mixer over to PrPro ... not that I've only asked about that maybe 20 times ...

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2021 Oct 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Update - I found a way around the old channel mixer for my specific needs.  I created the RG&B monochrome channel mixer effects in Photoshop and saved them as individual LUTS.   In Premiere Lumetri loads them and I get the same look as the old channel mixer but with full acceleration and color depth.  Also less clunky than AE linked comp which was the only other current option. 

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines