• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What's the short cut to zoom the timeline to the selected clip in Premiere?

Explorer ,
May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi There,

I'm having trouble located this shortcut, and worryingly, the answer I've found suggest there isn't one - is that true?

Any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Ben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 24, 2019 May 24, 2019

Not sure if this will do the trick but there is a "Zoom to Frame" that you can map in your keyboard shortcuts. I have it set to "Option+\" so that way I can quickly toggle in and out where ever my CTI (play head) is.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try + (plus) and - (minus)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ann, I'm looking for a 'fit to window' feature or similar - so the clip fills the timeline in one step. I then use \ to zoom out in one step.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this will do the trick but there is a "Zoom to Frame" that you can map in your keyboard shortcuts. I have it set to "Option+\" so that way I can quickly toggle in and out where ever my CTI (play head) is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not quite the same but will give it a go thanks.

What's the trick to setting the option modifier? I can't enter the option modifier while pressing \, nor can I select the option modifier on the right and press the \ key?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it working but that has to be the fiddliest shortcut screen I've ever used!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is sooo basic, I wonder how Adobe has not yet come to add a simple hotkey option to zoom to selected clip...
Zoom to frame is way too zoomed in, then zoom full timeline is way too wide... Wasted time zomming in and and out.
Apart from the fact that while zooming PR does not respect CTI poition on screen so you end up loosing it and hunting it back.
When we edit a single clip it is so usefull to be able to view it centered with the CTI in the middle of screen. AE has had the D hotkey for centering view to CTI instead of hunting it down in zoomed in views.
Another major  zoom distance  that ought to be hotkey assignable is zoom in to out. Lets say I have a portion of my timeline i want to work on, I could instantly zoom to that region. Simple things to implement ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Agreed.  Basic pro stuff is what adobe aren't very good at.  They're focused on 'innovation' for amateurs rather than improving the core functionality that advanced professional editors need.  Obvious things like this have been dormant for years collecting dust in their "to do" list since advanced pros are a tiny minority of their userbase.  Every 6-12 months I search for this topic (and others) out of frustration of the moment, in hopes of finding an update or a third party plugins I may have missed.   I found this post instead 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines