• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

What uncompressed video export format for use in other Premiere projects?

Contributor ,
Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a Premiere newbie working on a 1080p video and I'm creating some separate 1080p Premiere video animations for import into this project. Question: For maximum uncompressed quality, what format should I export these video animations to?

Originally I thought AVI, but the Premiere export seems to limit AVI files to 720p, so I'm confused. Thanks.

TOPICS
Export , How to

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Uncompressed is unworkable. Most Avi formats are old-fashioned.

Prores or Cineform is the way to go.

Both codec are to be found under Quicktime.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jul 15, 2021 Jul 15, 2021

Okay, my last comment: Apparently uncompressed AVI isn't supported by conventional players? Anyway, the AVI video looks fine when imported into my projects. Thank you everyone for your help.

By @XilburQost

As Ann already stated avi is an ancient format by todays standards. Uncompressed avi files that are 3000x1688 will be gigantic and you will need a really powerfull disc setup to even being able to playback the files in Premiere Pro.

Set the Exporter to QuickTime and use either Apple ProR

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uncompressed is unworkable. Most Avi formats are old-fashioned.

Prores or Cineform is the way to go.

Both codec are to be found under Quicktime.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Originally I thought AVI, but the Premiere export seems to limit AVI files to 720p, so I'm confused. 

By @XilburQost

This indicates that the timeline you are working with is set to 720p instead of 1080p since there is no such limitation when it comes to export. Select your timeline and go to Sequence > Sequence Settings and make sure that the Frame Size is 1920 x 1080.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, Averdahl. My frame size is 3000x1688, but I think my issue was that I failed to select AVI (Uncompressed); I chose the regular AVI export option which defaults to 720p.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, Averdahl. My frame size is 3000x1688, but I think my issue was that I failed to select AVI (Uncompressed); I chose the regular AVI export option which defaults to 720p.

By @XilburQost

O.k, great! Thanks for reporting back! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, dumb question maybe, but I just exported the uncompressed AVI, video players don't want to play it. When I try to play it in VLC media player, it says, "Fixing AVI index," then stops working.

I've got so much to learn.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, my last comment: Apparently uncompressed AVI isn't supported by conventional players? Anyway, the AVI video looks fine when imported into my projects. Thank you everyone for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

By @XilburQost

As Ann already stated avi is an ancient format by todays standards. Uncompressed avi files that are 3000x1688 will be gigantic and you will need a really powerfull disc setup to even being able to playback the files in Premiere Pro.

Set the Exporter to QuickTime and use either Apple ProRes or GoPro CineForm. For ProRes, choose the Apple ProRes 422 HQ Preset. Both are great modern intermediate codecs that will work.

In short; Forget avi's and start using QuickTime mov's.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines