• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When I click a text, screen goes black. Help!

Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2020 Aug 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

image.pngI have my video, it is finished. I even have some texts already.

Today is weird, and bare with me, english is not my mother language.

In the part where we have all the videos and audios and adjustment layers, etc....

If I select anything it is ok, but when I select a TEXT, then the editing screen goes black. I select an AL, Audio, Video, screen goes back to whatever has to be shown. I click on a text again, screen goes black.

By screen I mean only the editing screen, the whole monitor is ok, and I can see everything in premiere. >

Hope it is clear. The window that shows the video (what we will eventually export), the contents, all goes black.

any tips?

really no need for all that HW specs, Im on a laptop, windows 10, it is not a problem of my HW, I must have clicked something and now this is happening, and I do not know what I did.

edit:

Here is something I discovered.

I have texts... the pink boxes say "graphic", I guess that is normal.

There are 2 examples.

1) I have 2 pink boxes, text on top of a logo. 1 is text, the other is a logo. I select the LOGO, I can edit the text. But if I select the text, the screen goes black.

2) I have a pink box (my text, it says graphic in the box) on top of a video. I select the VIDEO, I can see the text but not edit it. When I select the text, the screen goes black.

https://ibb.co/VL1VYHz

this second link is not working for me, it should be the same image https://pasteboard.co/JmBvoF6.png

image.png

TOPICS
Editing , Effects and Titles , Error or problem , User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Beginner , Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

OK, I just found this answer here. (external link)

Here are the steps I followed and it fixed the issue.

1. Go to Premiere top bar and -> FILE
  2. Project Settings -> General
  3. Change the “Renderer” to -> the default option which is the “Mercury Playback Engine Software Only

Hopefully that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

You might want to try other drivers.  The most up to date driver isn't always the best one for some situations.

If you are not experiencing performance issues with GPU acceleration disabled, however, I suppose you will want to go with what works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

embed.jpg

...so we dont have to download unknown files: we help you, you help us. Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure I follow you. Can you please explaing me how I can help you help me?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post your screenhots inside your original post as shown in my screenshot. I (we) dont want to download from some unknow file server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all right, done!  thanks for the feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What effect have you applied to the text?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the effect.... it seems to have no effect. When I select the TEXT tool and I click to apply it, regardless of doing it over a video or in an empty space to have only text, the whole thing goes black. I can not see anything.

If there is a video behind, then the video goes black.

If there is nothing behind, then the tool itself is nowhere to be seen.

I am new to Premiere, and I can tell that there is always this or that clicked that changes the whole thing/experience. It must be something on the menus.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FX icon on the clip is purple so you must have done something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 17, 2020 Aug 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I have no idea what I did. 

Here the screenshots showing the Effect Controls.

What else can I share to give more light on this?

I really cant finish my video as texts are the only thing missing. And I really wonder how I screw it up, since it is the same for all texts which I wrote earlier. I mean, it is not a problem of one text, but of all of them.

Thank you for keep up with my issue.

effect controlseffect controls

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2021 Jan 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever figure this out? I'm having the same problem...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I just found this answer here. (external link)

Here are the steps I followed and it fixed the issue.

1. Go to Premiere top bar and -> FILE
  2. Project Settings -> General
  3. Change the “Renderer” to -> the default option which is the “Mercury Playback Engine Software Only

Hopefully that helps!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2021 Jan 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Change the “Renderer” to -> the default option which is the “Mercury Playback Engine Software Only

That is just a workaround and indicates that there is a graphc driver or card issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Peru Bob,

While this is true, my drivers and Adobe softward are completely up to date, and I have a laptop, so can't really change the graphics card. To me, that means that a "workaround" is the solution because it works.

Did you have a different suggestion? Otherwise, it seems like this is the answer for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 13, 2021 Jan 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might want to try other drivers.  The most up to date driver isn't always the best one for some situations.

If you are not experiencing performance issues with GPU acceleration disabled, however, I suppose you will want to go with what works for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 13, 2021 Aug 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That helped me! Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines