When pressing the Space Bar—playback won't stop, screen flashes, system freezes in Premiere Pro

Community Beginner ,
Feb 19, 2022 Feb 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have encountered all of this since I moved to Sony A7s3 10 bits 4K footage, but managed to fix it by using Proxies and upgrading my "not super powerfull" PC with 32Gb of RAM (AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8 core / NVIDIA GTX 1660)

BUT lately I've been having a new type of playback issue : when I hit the space bar, the playback starts and goes smoothly, but it won't stop if I hit space again, even many times. And worse, Premiere starts to flash (white screens), goes behind my other open applications (as if I was hitting Alt+Tab but I am not !), and sometimes freezes. If no freezing, it will go on until the end of the timeline. My only way out is to force Premiere to exit.

I am not using any special effect. I have cleaned all cache files, tried to save it as a new project with less sequences and make it lighter, but it does not help. Though, it seems to be happening with some specific sequences of the same project.

Anyone has experienced such a weird thing ?

TOPICS
Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Feb 24, 2022 Feb 24, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have such a problem going on with v.22.0. You press the hot keys for double acceleration and that's it. The video in the software monitor freezes at the current frame and dies only after 5 seconds. Playhead remains invisible at this point. The same situation is observed with the display of Scopes on the work panel. When switching from one panel to another, Scopes are not displayed immediately, but hang for a few seconds for a while. There is also a fading of the Scopes display while watching video frames on the timeline. The mess is complete with this damn Premiere. This is just a small part of the problem. And I can't count all of them, how many I encounter every day. When will it become stable and working for the client???

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 25, 2022 Feb 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Baffy,

When will it become stable and working for the client???

It's working with 11th and 12th gen Intel CPUs, according to Puget Systems. The community has mentioned this to you before and you concurred that you do not have that hardware installed in your computer. Do you recall that?

So, again, you are not meeting system requirements in this regard. Please use proxies or transcode the footage until you can meet these requirements. That's what I would do. Wishing you the best of luck.

Thanks,

Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

👌

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi BOF,

Sorry about that. I have a possible explanation: you need the latest Intel CPUs (11th and 12th gen) for playback support for many of these HEVC/H.264 10-bit formats, particularly 4:2:2. Your computer will not support playback for 10-bit formats so please use proxies or transcode the footage for best results. Since it sounds like you're doing that, check preferences. The Device Control preference seems to be causing some trouble. Can you make sure that is switched off?

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin and thank you.

I will make sure Device Control is turned off whenever I run into such a weird behaver.

And will upgrade my whole system if the price of the GPUs ever goes back to a decent level....

Sébastien

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

untill you meet the system requirments,

Go to preferences> memory

and reduce the memory to minimum 

Screen Shot 2022-02-26 at 10.36.17 AM.png

Other thing you can do is to check ingest in the media browser and use 

either trascode or proxy

Transcoding allows you to optimize your media files for the editing process.

proxy which results in ultra-low-res media

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines