• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

When using the Project Manager, does it save the whole clip or the segment in the timeline?

Contributor ,
Apr 15, 2022 Apr 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I wanted to check before I used this for the first time. 

When using Project Manager to gather all the files and move them to a single location is the PM moving the whole clip or just the segment used in the Timeline? 

Also, if I have two timelines in one project, do I need to save each one seperatly or will PM move over the files used in the other timelines as well?

Thank you,

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 16, 2022 Apr 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As to the clips, it can move segments of clips if they are intraframe codecs like ProRes, DNx, or Cineform, and you tell it to in the options. Including if you want handles.

It will not 'cut' interframe H.264/5 media.

And I think you have the options for how much of the project you're grabbing.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure that the Project Manager can move segments of intraframes codecs (what we generally call : Trimming a file without re-encoding) ? Did you succeed to do it ? 

I never succeed to do it with the Project Manager. It always re-encodes for me (test by comparing frames pixel by pixel on ProRes, DNxHD, Cineform, ..). And I didn't find anywhere something which indicates this behavior actually.

The official documentation about Project Manager is not really clear. The only sentence about this is :  

The Project Manager provides several options to consolidate relevant files into a mezzanine codec based on user-defined preferences. While consolidating the files, the Project Manager copies only portions of source footage used in sequences and automatically creates a trimmed project.

But they are mixing Transcoding and Trimming without re-encoding here ... 

Best,

Nicolas from Autokroma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Apr 26, 2022 Apr 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hello,

As you are talking about the Project Manager and Consolidation in Premiere Pro, let me introduce your the PlumePack plugin.

PlumePack is a third party Freemium plugin for Premiere Pro.  If you just want to consolidate and copy your project, the FREE version is enough and offers more features than the Project Manager (and less trouble ..!), such as a better file organization based your Premiere Pro bins structure. The Premium version is for users who want to Trim their files without re-encoding (so copying a part of a file !), so you keep your files codec, metadata and exact same quality ! Download and more infos on our website.

Best,

Nicolas from Autokroma

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines