• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Which parameters cause .mogrts to render slower in PP?

Community Beginner ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm an animator that also designs .mogrts for our production team, and I go through a process of sending them out for testing on different machines before publishing to our library. Lately, some .mogrts have slowed to the point that they are unusable. One in particular is a simple text .mogrt with a locator icon — it's simple motion, but our render times jump from 3 minutes to 54 minutes when we use it.

We have someone diagnosing the broken .mogrt, and I built a replacement .mogrt and it works great — but I'm curious if there are known complications when using specific expressions, effects or parameters to build .mogrts in AE. For example, is a drop shadow slider a good implementation, or should we build them without shadow sliders and have editors use PP's built-in Drop Shadow effect instead?

tl;dr — is there a best practices guide for building .mogrts in AE that can help us design templates that render faster in PP?

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my experience Mogrts are slow because it is an AE comp living in Premiere's timeline. A work flow to consider is after the changes have been made to the Mogrt in the timeline select it and go to the top of the interface/clip/render and replace and have Premiere turn it into a movie file before rendering out your final production. I find that this works well for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Rob — thanks for the reply. Render & Replace is a good workaround.

But only a handful of our .mogrts are slow — most of them breeze right through the render without issue.

Have you encountered specific design elements within a .mogrt that cause it to slow?

I'd like to tell the staff to stop using whichever expression or parameter is blowing up our render times, but I haven't found any guidance from Adobe to answer that question. In our own experimentation, we've found sometimes it's faster to add a PP drop shadow instead of baking a drop shadow with an expression-linked slider into the .mogrt in AE. That's not a huge problem, just an example. It would be nice to have that feature, but a drop shadow tends to be a design compromise instead of good design anyhow.

On the other hand I've build a planet-builder .mogrt that uses sliders and checkboxes to create a flat render of a 3-d planet with realistic mapping. You can change all motion parameters in the .mogrt — it's heavy, but it renders without issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 13, 2022 Oct 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jarle Leirpoll wrote a pretty good primer book on Ae mogrt creation for deploying to teams of Pr users ... it's a free ebook, hosted on an Adobe blog site. Highly recommended ... I was language style/grammarian for it, and a tester. Well written, clear, concise, with good illustrations.

And as any from Jarle ... practical.

Neil

Jarle’s Making Mogrt’s ebook on Adobe blog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines