• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

While editing using two video clips, should I delete V1 if V2 is what I want shown?

Community Beginner ,
Jan 18, 2023 Jan 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have two video tracks laid over the top of each other.  It works perfectly because it is displaying the video from V2 instead of V1, and I have synced the audio from V1 to use just as I wanted.  After a length of time though I wish to go back to V1.  Is there any reason for me to create a section in V1 and delete it?  And possibly then move V2 down to V1 or is it cool to just leave it where it is?  If you look at the picture you can see what I mean maybe.  When CPUinstall.mp4 is done it automatically goes back to V1 but I don't know if I need to do anything to V1 previous to that.  Sorry, that is so wordy...

TOPICS
Editing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe ... it depends.

Some editors really like tightly cleaned up timelines, nothing "there" that isn't in use. Really, squeaky clean timelines from a visual perspective.

Others will have twenty video tracks, where they've moved things around, some tracks have the eye de-clicked so they're turned storage, and well, it's visually a mess. But their computer isn't slowed down so it's ok.

Your choice I suppose.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much!  I'm obviously just getting started and even basic concepts seem advanced to me at this point so I really appreciate it.  So to summarize, if I leave it in no harm no foul, but if I want to clean up how my timeline looks I can delete it and it will also be fine.  Personal preference.  Sound about right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. Everybody works a bit differently, even when you have say four people taught in the same shop, they'll still work a bit differently even when they are given over-riding Rules for general editing together.

Fascinating, the variety we humans can create ...   😉

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree with Neil, but in this case "cleaning up" would mean removing the V1 video for the portion where V2 is active. I see no reason to mess with that.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines