Sep 03, 2021 Sep 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please keep in mind that I am new to video editing:

My specs are:

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz

RTX 2080 Super mobile.

16GB RAM

In HSL secondary when I try to adjust the "sliders" the video screen turns white. I've tried updating my video drivers to the latest and I've tried setting my preferences to default. Also in Vignette moving the sliders makes no difference to the image. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Premiere Pro.

Here is a screenshot with the problem:

https://shared-assets.adobe.com/link/90ac851b-9cde-45fc-7913-ca0a4c8e2c9c

afbeelding.png

[Screenshot embedded by mod]

TOPICS
Error or problem

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have the Color/Gray mask turned on. This means that any area that is 'selected' by the sliders will show in color, while all the non-selected area will be gray. It's a mask I use a lot, personally.

The issue is there's nothing selected yet. So of course, everything is gray.

Use the eyedropper to select some area of the image prior to turning on the mask. Use the mask to make sure your selection includes everything you want, and very little you don't.

Also, you'll need to soften with a few points of blur normally, and to keep from having 'chatter', a few points of denoise help. Not a lot typically, just a little of both.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But even if I have the color/grey deselected everything still turns white when I move the sliders. Also moving the sliders doesn't affect the image at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you first select an area with the eyedropper tool? As asked above?

Before the mask can help, you need to select an area to affect.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Yes I tried that it makes no difference to the image. I'm going to try to update my laptop monitor display drivers now.

Thank you for your suggestions so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2021 Sep 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have selected an area with the eyedropper, you should have all three sliders showing a setting. A slider without any range selected will of course show no area selected ... and so a totally gray area.

With that example, if you turned off the Sat and Luma sliders that do not have a range selected, the Hue range selected would have shown.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It doesn't affect the image at all when I use the eyedropper. Then when I use the sliders it still turns the image grey.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay,

So I've updated everything on my computer and since I updated the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics Windows and the HP Wireless Button Drivers it's now working better. Yesterday I had updated the BIOS too and the day before the NVIDIA graphics drivers. But my instincts tell me that it still isn't working properly simply because when I move the various H, S and L sliders the colours don't become "extreme" enough. I still believe it to be faulty but I'm not sure. When I select the green eyedropper and apply it to the background (away from the subject's face) the background turns red.

I think this is clearly a hardware/drivers/software issue. Frustratingly I just got the laptop less than eight months ago I believe so I'm going to try and see if I can get a new one based on the warranty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basic operation of the HSL tab.

First, start by using the left eyedropper, the one that doesn't have a + or - attached to it, that's the one for general starting selection process. Click the eyedropper, then click on the Program monitor where you want to select data.Ctrl/Cmd-click gets you a larger selection other than a one-pixel selection. I nearly always use the Ctrl-click process.

After you've selected an area, then set the mask to on. Prior to clicking to turn the mask on, your image should be unchanged and showing the whole image. After you turn the mask on, it will show only the pixels that meet the criteria of the combined slider controls for Hue, Saturation, and Lightness (Luma).

Some keys work best with only one or two of the criteria controls, and if you unclick the checkbox to the right of any selection slider you turn that criteria off. So if say you want all pixels of a hue regardless of saturation or brightness, unclick Sat and Luma.

Once you have your key set ... using the mask ... so it shows only color on the pixels you want to change, then turn the mask off.

Now you use the controls below those to make the change in the color to the area selected by the sliders above. The color wheel (which can be in either whole-image or 3-way shadows/mids/highlights), and the Temp, Tint, Contrast, Sharpen, and Sat controls.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 05, 2021 Sep 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again.

The image still remain unaffected. It's just as if I didn't do anything to the image. I had a technician update everything and still I get the same results. BTW now I don't get a gray screen but the image just doesn't get coloured in at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 06, 2021 Sep 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give me a complete step-by-step of what you're doing.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In HSL secondary when I try to adjust the "sliders" the video screen turns white.

I dont think TS is using the feature correctly.

I can reproduce.

Guessing TS just used the slider instead of the eyedroppers first.

AnnBens_1-1630941846664.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A6NZDgyWE40

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I'm using the eyedropper on the image/the person's face first. Then using the sliders. I've tried with ctrl + click too first. The image remains unaffected. To the other posters above: I no longer get a grey screen. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

To make sure, the use of the sliders that set the key does not in any way change the image.

The sliders only set the area that will be changed.

You change the image with the separate controls down below starting with the color wheel tool and the sliders below that.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried to uncheck "color/gray"?

1.jpg

After uncheck :

2.jpg

-Office : Adobe || Home : Resolve-

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines