• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Whites Are Yellow with VBR 2, but not VBR 1?? Why??

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2022 Feb 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm new here so have patience//
I just curious about why my wedding video that I just rendered in VBR 2 shows all the "blown out highlights" or whites, as *yellow* rather than just white.
I saw a few suggested threads that said it was something to do with the HDR color profiles, and I'll have to read more to see if I can fix it with some of the suggestions. 
No, it's not my monitor, this is the ONLY video that has had these issues.
Moreover, when I came back and rendered in VBR 1, (my standard modus operandi), the issue was resolved, and the whites simply looked white!!
I'm sure some PP wizard on here has the answer, and I would be very interested in hearing it. Technical explainations are more than welcome. 

P.S., I'm uploading the video with the issue to Google Drive currently, but it's a 20min vid so it'll take a second to process before I can share to the thread. I figure y'all know exactly what I'm talking about anyway. 

Thanks!!

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi usmcmcauliffe,

We're sorry to hear about this. Let us know the version of Premiere Pro that you are using. Also, please share a screenshot of the Properties panel for the media in Premiere Pro & a screenshot of the Sequence Settings. We're here to help, just need more info.

Thanks,

Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply!! 
I'll do my best here...
I went to File> Get Properties For> Selection 
And it gave properties for the camera/file (which I was using 3 cams, a DJI Air2, and two different Sony A7Riii)
So I took 3 screenshots, one of each different Properties that were shown.
Next, 
I went to Sequence>Sequence Settings
and took a screenshot of that!
Finally, 
I went to Help>About Premeire Pro
And took a screeshot of that (for the version)

I'm not sure if I got the first part right, with the properties, so let me know how to get the info you are asking for and I'll do it!

Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 11, 2022 Feb 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First, to properly fix that clip, you need to go to the Project panel, select it (and others like it if any), right-click/Modify/Interpret Footage/Override set to Rec.709. Then the problem goes away.

It's because the 2022 version has a completely rebuilt underlying color system. It used to by default be Rec.709/SDR, but now isn't. So if it 'sees' a clip as HLG (an HDR form) it frequently shows it as HLG. Which many phones now default to using HLG as their color space, and probably it's better to change that to Rec.709/SDR. Very little actual HDR is used.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2022 Feb 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

There's a couple things that could be involved here. First thing is that I think the VBR 2 is two-pass encoding, and is (as I recall) done without the H.264 encoding bits of the CPU being involved.

So the VBR 1 pass is probably using the Nvenc H.264 capabilities of your CPU, the VBR 2 is not, and that might be the difference.

The other, is if these were log-encoded in the camera, that might be an issue with the Pr2022 version. Some log-encoded SDR/Rec.709 clips are being mis-interpreted in use by Premiere 2022 at this time. Most of the time, when it does, it shows them as HLG ... and those you can 'fix' via the override to Rec.709 setting.

But for some log-encoded clips from certain Sony & Panny cameras, Premiere shows the clip as Rec.709, but displays it as if it were HLG, in full HDR mode. And unfortunately, when Pr2022 shows a clip color space as Rec.709, but dsiplays it as if it was HLG,  the override option is grayed out.

Leaving the user with a thorny problem sadly.

So that's the other possibility at this time.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines