Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Why are there almost no 4K Sequence presets? Most are for HD....

Explorer ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, quick question. When starting a new sequence and choosing the (eventual export) settings, almost all the presets are for HD resolution. To get 4K I usualyl choose the DSLR/Camera HD 24p preset and then manually change the aspect ratio to 3840 x 2160 px. With current technology making 4K (and soon 8K) more common, you'd think there would be 4K presets.

And honesty, if we shoot with one camera (i.e. I shoot with Nikon) there is is no need to see so many presets for other cameas.

Is this how you guys set the sequence size in Premiere Pro? You manually type in the aspect ratio?
TOPICS
Editing, FAQ, Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Sep 14, 2021 Sep 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I never do that. Why? It's a total waste of my time.

Drop the clip on a blank timeline panel, or right-click a clip in the bin, 'new sequence from clip'.

You get a sequence built for the specs ... framesize, framerate ... of the clip. Done.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hardly ever use a preset.

Just drag the first clip into the empty timeline and voila.

And if it does not suite my needs, I go into the settings and change them.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@audio90Why do you manually create sequence and type resolution?
Just drag your footage file to small sequence icon (right bottom corner) and viola, you have automatic sequence base on your footage.

==============
Okie Eko Wardoyo

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree that this is a problem, audio. Here's the feature request site: Premiere Pro User Voice

While we wait for this new feature, you can create custom presets in the interim. I have many presets for social media and other situations where I need a sequence preset. If you need help creating a preset, please let us know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you all for the replies, yes it does make total sense to this radically clipped the sequence

Thank you all for the replies, It does make total sense to either drag the clip onto the timeline to start a sequence with the desired settings, which includes 4K resolution, or choosing to "make sequence from clip".

I was asking because sometimes I use mixed formats and clips, there might be some HD, there might be some 4K, certainly different frame rates -from 24fps to 60fps.

And if I finish in HD, I may put the project settings to HD resolution but pan and scan the 4K footage. Conversely, sometimes I would like to finish and 4K and my footage is only 1080/HD so I have to test to see if the footage will look somewhat crisp when it's upresolutioned that much.

But that's a great tip, if all my footage is the same, or I have a format in one my clips that is a resolution I want, I can just drag it in the timeline to start the project editing.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The mixed framerate thing is a pain. I just grab a clip of the size I want, make a sequence, then immediately delete the clip and start adding media as I need it there. Rather than taking the time to select a preset even.

Some users have quite a list of presets, of course.

Neil

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

audio,

This is fine if you have a bonafide clip with a verifiable frame rate you want to begin with. That said, a lot of beginners start at the presets window and get confused and can't go forth immediately without knowing this rather "secret handshake" to make your sequence match your clip. And what if that clip is VFR or some other odd frame rate you don't intend to be the base setting for the rest of your clips - so yes, be careful there!

What you might check out is the beta version and see how different importing clips and beginning sequences might be. I think it's a bit more foolproof than the sequence presets dialog box in getting started, but you can be the judge of that.

I will continue to advocate for your request. 

Thanks,
Kevin

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the tips guys.

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines