• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why do my carefully designed captions showing as white default in MS Movie and TV

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2022 Mar 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I created Lato Medium FFDF00 top-placed captions in Premiere Pro 22.2.0 (Build 128). I exported as H.264 with captions with Sidecar File.

When I play the .mp4  in  MS Movies and TV (our org's default) and select the .srt for captions, they display as white, bottom-placed default font.

Any recommendations on how to play the video with the settings I selected in Premier Pro without burning them in?

Thanks,

Alice

TOPICS
Effects and Titles , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The  .SRT sidecar carries no more than font color styling. What does MS Movies and TV say about sidecar requirements?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Stan

I found a 2017 YouTube, not much else. They show a black background behind the captioning. Otherwise, it is the same white default captioning I am seeing from my Premiere Pro generated .srt. in MS Movies and TV.

So, am I correct in thinking that .srt cannot be modified and that stylized Premiere Pro captioning is best suited to burned-in open captions?

Alice

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SRT can be very complicated, but most are limited. The versions exported from PR are either without styling of any kind, or styling, but it is limited to font color.

PR can export other sidecar types, some of which carry a lot of styling info (positioin, font family, font color, background on/off and background color). But many services only support some formats.

I do not find a single help location for MS Movie and TV. Here was one example.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/add-subtitles-or-captions-to-your-microsoft-stream-video-...

Almost all services that allow sidecar files will also allow the end user to override your settings.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Stan

Thanks for trying to nail this down

I may be stuck just dumping the .mp4 and plugging in the caption .txt from Premiere into Camtasia (Techsmith) which can publish with a playbar. I’ll have the option customized font

Shame that Premiere Pro couldn’t help. Maybe @Beatlejase is reading this

Alice

[OHSU Email via Boxer - Workspace ONE]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines