• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why does rendering go faster when unplugging second monitor??

Participant ,
Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys,

I have a 2 monitors and I noticed that if I unplug my second monitor the rendering goes way faster? why does this happen? weak GPU? I just never thought a second monitor would have an impact on render times. 

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Export , Freeze or hang , Hardware or GPU , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

It could be that your power supply is marginal, and the video card is using more power and/or running hotter with two monitors.  The CPU might also be throttling back.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 12, 2022 Oct 12, 2022

Peru Bob's on the right track.  When I first started posting here a few years ago, some people made fun of me for suggesting that overheating could cause issues...  but it can have an impact...  but it's also gonna take some additional processing power to feed a second monitor...  Gotta say I've seen serious performance hits when working with a second monitor...  Sometimes changing the renderer in. project settings: general to software sometimes helps mitigate the problem and don't think overhea

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It could be that your power supply is marginal, and the video card is using more power and/or running hotter with two monitors.  The CPU might also be throttling back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Peru Bob's on the right track.  When I first started posting here a few years ago, some people made fun of me for suggesting that overheating could cause issues...  but it can have an impact...  but it's also gonna take some additional processing power to feed a second monitor...  Gotta say I've seen serious performance hits when working with a second monitor...  Sometimes changing the renderer in. project settings: general to software sometimes helps mitigate the problem and don't think overheating would be effected by this change (bwdik) .    The fact is I don't know enough about the inner workings of Premiere to give you a definitive answer.   Just know how to work around the issue... at least how it effects my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines