Any ideas why the presence of a specific clip in a timeline or a bin within a Production would significantly add to the project file size while other seemingly identical clips(in format not content) do not?
I'm helping to troubleshoot an archival heavy doc with many decades of footage that has recently been moved into Productions. It has become very crashy. We can't have two project open at once. I've isolated a specific file that is causing some of the issues, and it appears nearly identical to many others that are not problematic. Removing it from the source project and from the timeline in a simplified edit project reduced size for both projects by several MB, and reduced some of the crashy-ness. I know there are more clips like this and I'm trying to figure out the root issue.
Once I added the problem clip back into the source project and recut it into the edit project, the file sizes increased again, though not as much as before. Oddly, the file size for the source project only increased after I cut the clip into the edit project, not after adding it to the bin in the first place. SO there is something about the connection between the clip in the source project and the edit project that ADDS to the file size. Any ideas out there?
Some effects add more significantly to the project file itself. I always think they are insignificant, but a poster in another thread just gave an example of how long it takes to save a project file with long warp stabilizer sections. So what effects are added? And you may only see that when added to the timeline.
My method on occasion: look in the project file and compare to another version. Example here is for Windows.
Save the project without the clip. Go to the project file in explorer, right click, and pick "extract here." (That's probably using 7zip.) You get a file with no extension. Rename it something so you know it is version 1. Right click, edit in Notepad++ (that's just my favorite). Go back to PR, add the file to a bin. Save the project; repeat the extraction, renaming, open in Notepad. Back to the project and add to timeline, save, repeat the steps.
You now have 3 versions. Do a compare and see what has changed. Maybe something will make sense.