• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is premiere 2020 so terrible? Laggy? and Bad?

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2020 Apr 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its the worst and I can't save back to 2019 version, so the best I can do is try to render what I have and start a new project in the old version–I thought this subscription serviced would fix this garbage

TOPICS
Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2020 does have a higher gear need than 2019 ... so what you're running can be a factor, and of course, how you've set up your rig for multiple disc use and such.

So ... we can't even take a guess unless you tell us the hardware you're using, the media you're working with and the effects you tend to use.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2020 Sep 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello. For the past 2 months, Premiere Pro and Premiere Rush have been the worst ever. And I've been using Premiere for over 15 years with far less capable systems than what I have now. Prior to this fiasco, everything was running fine with no issues, except maybe an occassional crash. I was even importing 8k files and playing them in the timeline with no problems with effects applied! I have been through "hell" trying to figure this out. I've updated EVERYTHING, read countless blogs, searched throughout the web and to no avail, the issues persist. What are the issues you ask? Extreme lag and slow import. Importing a simple 1080p clip takes more than 5 seconds when it used to be instantaneous. Dragging a clip into the timeline is close to 30 seconds. Splitting and moving a clip and waiting for it finish takes like 10 seconds. But the worse thing is the effects controls (video only). When I click on the values to change them, the lag is ridiculous! This is not the Premiere I'm used to! I mean I'm paying for this monthly and it's impossible to use. I know that this is an Adobe issue because I've had to use a competitors FREE version and it works flawlessly! Like I mentioned earlier, I've done it all uninstalled, reinstalled, used earlier versions, updated my hardware drivers, optimized, diagnosed everything I can imagine for the past 2 months and I haven't gotten anywhere. For 6 straight months everything worked beautifully. I don't get it. Here are the specs for my system:

AMD Ryzen 9 3900X

Asus ROG STRIX E-gaming mobo

NVIDIA RTX 2070 Super

64gb ram

Intel 660p 1tb SSD (Project drive)

Samsung 970 EVO 1tb SSD (OS drive)

Samsung 860 EVO 1tb SSD (Media Cache & Scratch drive)

Cooler Master liquid cooler

EVGA 850W Power supply

Windows 10 Professional

LG 32" 4K Display

Logitech MX Masterkeys keyboard

Logitech MX Master 3 mouse

Hope this helps 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

++++ Make a Copy of your project with a New Name in the same folder as the original ++++

1) Right-Click the COPY of the project and from the 7-Zip menu select “Open Archive”
2) In 7-Zip there is one file same name as the project – Right-Click the file and select EDIT*
3) On the fourth line change the Version = “??” Change the number portion to “1” Save and Close
4) 7-Zip will ask you if you want to update that file in the archive, Select

That’s it! When you open the project Premiere Pro will say it is from a Previous Version, and will give it a new name as usual.

This post has a bit more info...
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/open-premiere-project-in-older-version-downgrade-project...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Look, I don't have a fancy rig–Darth Vader's trash can (don't even get me started on Apple's workstation)–the point is I'm cutting simple –time-sensitive(boring) lectures, nothing fancy, some transitions, some contrast–simple stuff–was fine in CC19 (and 18, and...) then I try CC 2020 and no I can't play a simple compressed video file from ZOOM without falling on my face. You guys making your stuff too fancy for regular people to do basic things on mortal computers? 

Oh my specs:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro6,1

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5

Processor Speed: 3.7 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 10 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 12 GB

I do appreciate yall getting back to me so expeditiously though, and thanks for the tip with the 7-Zip copy trick, I already started editing the second half in 19 and will splice in the beginning from the CC20 render.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Oman! I am only commenting because me and a group of colleagues are all have similar issues. Premiere Pro has because absolutely terrible!!! Simple Scrubbing and usinf simple plug-ins has become a pain in the ass. I DO have a decent specs, 6-core, 8gb Vram, 32gb Ram, etc etc and I can't even cut SIMPLE ASS VIDEO. Not to mention, it crashes constantly if I use anything that involves ANY heavy lifting. Premiere PRO??? That's funny...It doesn'y even perform well enough to be called Premiere Amateur...LOL! Anyway...wanted to show support, let you know you are not alone and MAYBE, POSSIBLY someone who actually CARES at Adobe will see this and MOANY OTHER posts like it and actually bring their Software back up to a good working level. That said, a lot of people I work with have been moving to Resolve...I might be moving there next. Premiere Blows and it's Sad 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand the feeling ... I don't know how many computers I've been through over the last 30+ years. At least a new one every 3-4 years. At first, just for "business" things, then around 1994 we started using scanners and computers for copy/restoration of old images ... and in around 2001 started our first digital captures.

For the last three years plus I've been on an Intel 6 core/12-thread CPU at 3.2Ghz, 32GB/RAM, and GTX1060 GPU. It's been pretty good for most of that time. But Pr2020 is more demanding of hardware than Pr2019, which needed more than Pr2018.

I use primarily Premiere Pro, but also Resolve, Ae, and Audition. I've got the full Red Giant universe, and do use their plugins quite a bit, along with the Autokroma BRAW plugin. On intraframe media like BRAW, ProRes, Cineform, and DNxHD/R, my current 6-core rig is a bit slow at times but workable. Many sequences have no troubles in playback at full.

With Pr 2020, long-GOP (H.264) media is not so good. Often stutters a bit. I don't have any crashing issues though. I don't get any better playback performance in Resolve than Premiere, though I know some apparently do. I've got Resolve Studio, the paid version.

Sorry to say, but a 6-core rig with 32 GB of RAM, and an 8GB GPU was a pretty decent rig two years ago. As was mine. The software and hardware keep changing though. As the coding is brought up to date, and built for better work with the large-K RED, Arri, and Sony media along with new gear like the new Nvidia and AMD GPUs, they're not going to be working on making it fly on older kit. And as I've done so many times before, I had to bite the bullet and get a new rig.

My new rig comes in today from Puget (according to tracking). I'll be going from a three year old 6core/32GB-RAM/1060 desktop to a 24 core Ryzen, 128GB/RAM, 2080Ti.

I'm looking forward to the new rig. The benchmarks that Puget tested it with for say Neat video noise reduction are wondrous. I'm not looking forward to the day of setting it up & moving things over. Sigh. But every 3-4 years, that's been Life for us since our shop first went into computers many years ago. Long before we were working images on computers.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really looking forward to hearing about your new rig Neil. Mine is still working well, but I built it right at the tail end of that hardware, so I may be looking for something next year. (6850 @ 4.4ghz, 64GB, 2 M.2s, 1070). Your new build sounds awesome, I have a buddy who built one similar, but he hadn't put CC on it as of the last time we talked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Puget stats for it while testing in PrPro, Ae, Resolve, and Neat were stunning, coming from a 3-year old 6-core rig. Like 48fps with 8k RED in Neat ... yowza!

So ... I'm sitting here waiting for it to arrive, FedEx says it's on the truck rolling around nearby ...

I hate migrating to a new computer. But this rig has me salivating right now.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool! 🙂 

I'm interested in seat of the pants type stuff, so does if feel snappier while doing day to day stuff.

Also, I wish Adobe would pick a technology and let us know what it is. Like they did with Cuda, it makes such a big difference... so what is next type thing.

All the best with it, hear more later!

pj

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah,I think so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For a company that has 2 amazing products: LR and PS - it amazes me that they have a video editor that is so far removed from the smooth and slick abilities of FCP.

I have the M1 Max chip and it really is a dream with FCP.

I just open any file in FCP and it all works smoothly.

Premiere is just the antithesis of the word intuitive.

I have even tried the betas and it is simply embarrassing how bad this piece of software is.

I will be dropping the full suite subscription and go back to just the Photo Plan.

I think they really need to just start all over again.

J

Lumix S5, Atomos Ninja V

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of these apps are tools, that's all. Just fancy hammers.

All of them are designed by normal people, and therefore are different as the groups that designed them naturally make different bits to put together.

So use whichever one fits your hands. I've looked at FCP and ... huh. Not attractive to me. Rather more limited in some ways also to my needs.

Same with Resolve, which I do work with regularly. I don't like the UI very much, and I do NOT like the way Resolve is locked-down and the user can't make their own workspaces nor modifify the mappings of any tools like control surfaces. That's all controlled tightly by the BM staff.

But I need to be familiar enough with Resolve to teach Resolve users how to work in PrPro. And there are some color things that are easy to do in a designed-for-color app like Resolve, and not so easy in Premiere.

Some good friends though love the Resolve UI ... so yes, that's the one they use. It's the one they should use. It fits them to a T.

Each user should understand a basic fact of life: we are all by nature unique, ain't no one just like us, and our personal preferences are not necessarily aligned with any other particular human on the planet.

Fancy hammers. If you feel more comfortable or productive with FCP, go for it. And enjoy working over there. Just understand that is partly because of being 'you', not necessarily a statement on the overall quality/usability of either app.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2022 May 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I agree. Every time I upgrade my computer and Adobe Premier Pro, the software gets worse (instead of better and faster as one would expect). I've just concluded after 20 plus years of Adobe Premier Pro use that this is a terrible company and terrible product. But in fairness, shame on me for not agressively looking for better solutions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines