• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why is the create button grayed out in Premiere Pro import dialogue box?

Explorer ,
Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to create a new Premiere Pro project, which apparently begins with importing media. I have what I understand to be compatible media selected, but the "create" button is grayed-out, prohibiting me from going further.

Does anyone understand why and could they suggest a remedy for this?

Thanks.

Screen Shot 2022-06-25 at 8.10.11 PM.png

TOPICS
Error or problem , Freeze or hang , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 25, 2022 Jun 25, 2022

Most users bypass any importing on this 'page', as it's not necessary.

De-select everything in the middle and the right-side 'create sequence' button, so nothing is selected in the middle nor blue on the right side ...the only things done on this page are giving the project a name and location.

Now scroll down, the Create button should be available far lower right, click that, and your project opens as it used to. Now add media as you used to via the Project panel or MediaBrowser panel.

Ne

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most users bypass any importing on this 'page', as it's not necessary.

De-select everything in the middle and the right-side 'create sequence' button, so nothing is selected in the middle nor blue on the right side ...the only things done on this page are giving the project a name and location.

Now scroll down, the Create button should be available far lower right, click that, and your project opens as it used to. Now add media as you used to via the Project panel or MediaBrowser panel.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, @R Neil Haugen, I really appreciate your help.

Amazing, I couldn't deselect anything, and all of the menus were grayed-out. I had to force quit. What a terrible user experience, right off the bat, before I even got started.

But once I restarted the app and followed your suggestions, everything worked as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really terrible UX indeed. I am facing the same issue, Thanks both of you for putting this conversation here so helpful. 

Accidentally I clicked by habit, a file and it freezes and the create button is greyed out. Don't know why they even included such a stupid explorer in the first place. Whenever I click a folder it keeps adding 999+ in the bottom right and the create button is greyed out again. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, the frustration is totally understood.

I do understand why they did what they did, and that part's ok. Replacing never-used options with something that actuallly some users will use. And this import page is fantastic for say TV newsroom editors where they've got an hour to make six 30-sec to 2 min projects each with 3-10 clips.

And the devs assumed the rest of us would just go on as always, skipping the un-useful options and going to the Project panel or MediaBrowser. But that isn't NEARLY as obvious as they thought, and putting the Create button way the HADES away from Name, Location ... wastes our time grabbing the mouse to move across the screen.

Let alone those that have troubles with the blame thing not wanting to allow deselecting. Or some other odd behavior.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have the same issues have never been able to use this feature. I just repopen a previous project, clear it and save it as a new project and start importing. A shame as this workflow feature is a good idea. It's just never worked. Strange that Adobe hasn't debugged it yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 24, 2023 Apr 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is very rare indeed to not be able to get the Create button "blue" if ...

• nothing has a filled-in star or outline in the center panel list of folders/media and
  • nothing is blue in the 'actions' to the far right.

You may need to scroll down both areas to make sure. But if those two things are correct, then again, the Create button should be available. This works for (literally) millions of users a day, so it's not a huge problem across the user base.

Screen grabs would be helpful to see what is going on in your setup of course.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2023 May 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Annoyingly, I updated Premiere Pro last week, tried this workflow again and it worked fine! For the first time ever. I really don't know what I couldv'e been doing wrong. Are you able to share grabs showing what to do right to get a blue button and one that shows what one might be doing wrong to get a grey?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2023 Jul 03, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's because, when browsing to the files you wanted to import, you selected a folder (checkmark, and now you want to import +999 media files.
You can see the folder icon with +999 at the left bottom.
go back, deselect all folders etc, and then brows to youf media again and re-selct it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2023 Aug 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THIS is actually the correct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 06, 2023 Aug 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other answer, while informative and helpful, does not actually answer the question, but rather provides a (possibly unnecessary) workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed Premiere for the first time ever (used AE and Final cut before). First time opening 999+ files were selected and no way to deselect them. It made the whole app very very slow. like 10 seconds to just deselect one video. After trial and error multiple times, I force quit the Premiere and it finally reopened with nothing selected. What a load of crap.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 07, 2023 Nov 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yea, it can be confusing.

Did you notice the star at the top of that center section? When you click on it, you can change 'starring' , the selection of media to import. Click once, check, click again if stuff is selected, as if there are things selected and you click that, it clears them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines