• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why must I relink files every time I open project?

Community Beginner ,
Aug 07, 2019 Aug 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!  I have seen this come up before but never seen a good answer.

1) I had to move my growing project to a larger external drive, and now every time I open it, I need to relink the files to the new drive.  I can tell it is expecting to see the old drive, as it shows the name of the old drive as the location that's missing.  How can I gently tell Premiere that the old drive is gone forever, and it needs to stop looking for it? I tried saving it as a new project, and it still wants that old drive.  Such a nostalgic heart, Premiere...

2) Is there a way to make the program forget files that have been deleted from the project and will never be relinked?  It asks for these every time as well.  They've left, Premiere, you need to let go!

I've been editing for 20 years, and I remember that with Avid and Final Cut Pro, this needed to be done once, and the programs remembered the new location.  So I'm sure there must be a way with Premiere.

Thanks!

Jason

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for that Jim, but this is a feature film.  I can't put multiple terabytes of footage on an internal drive.  And even if a computer existed with a 5TB of internal memory, if I were to move this project there, I would still have to reconnect the media every time I booted up Premiere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you assign a fixed drive letter to the external drive in Disk Management?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 08, 2019 Aug 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob, this sounds it might be the solution.  Can you tell me if this is possible on a Mac?  I googled it and only see reference to Windows.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jasonb71718428  wrote

Can you tell me if this is possible on a Mac?

Sorry, but I'm only a Windows guy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't put multiple terabytes of footage on an internal drive.

Why not?

7200 RPM, 8TB, 16TB, 14TB, 12TB, 10TB, Desktop Internal Hard Drives, Hard Drives, Components - Neweg...

if I were to move this project there, I would still have to reconnect the media every time I booted up Premiere.

No, you wouldn't.  That's part of the point of using internal, local drives.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Once I relink files, Premiere should remember the path and not have to ask me every time.

Any answer to this question?

Obviously, using local drives is a non-starter for anyone who works professionally as an editor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2022 Sep 13, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree. An answer to this would be very much appreciated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here,  I change all my footage and project to a new, more potent drive, but even though the files indicate my new external drive as location, I still need to link  a few of them, always the same one. once I close the project and open it another day, I have to relink always the same few clips, even though their location is clearly stating the new external drive where I do have them. It is not a huge problem to link it every time I open it, but if I share the project with someone not familiar, they might take a while to locate the missing media. Any help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 26, 2023 Apr 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do we have a decent answer for this yet or is this still an issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 07, 2023 Dec 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, since my the links were always pointing into old directory I totally deleted in meantime, I guessed it's some cache issue, so I just clicked on "offload all" and then cleaned unused cache and when I closed and when I reopened the project the issue was gone. Hope this helps. 

Premiere seems to have some issues with verifying the caches that no longer should be used. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines