• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Will current Premiere open projects made with Premiere 6.5 ?

New Here ,
Aug 29, 2022 Aug 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My Win XP PC died (motherboard went belly up) a few years ago and all my projects were made with Premeire 6.5. I bought a Win10 PC and none of the software will load. If I install the latest Premiere, will it be able to open my 6.5 projects? My alternatives are very limited: I am not optimistic about going the Virtual PC route nor am I excited about buying a Win XP PC. The projects are all very simple, just avi sequences with fades and cuts and some titles, each one not more than 2 minutes long. My goal is to re-render the projects into different formats, maybe mpg or avi, or possibly export them to a Firewire recorder. Thanks.

TOPICS
Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 30, 2022 Aug 30, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

will it be able to open my 6.5 projects?

By @rick287

Probably not. 6.5 is totally different under the hood compared to Creative Cloud (CC).

Might work with a Creative Suite (CS) version.

Download Adobe CS6 Trials: Direct Links (no Assistant or Manager) | ProDesignTools

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 03, 2022 Sep 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks Ann! I might try that later, however, I have some good news. I downloaded the Adobe Premiere Pro Trial version and although it would not open any project, it opens and plays all of the video files! All the files were captured with the Canopus DV codec (Rex card) and I cannot play them with windows media player. I tried installing the Canopus DV codec but that didn't make a difference. But, once I import the avi into Pro, I can put it on the time line, edit In/Out points, and export it! I am almost an expert with 6.5, but 2022 Pro is so totally different, I'm having to learn it all over from scratch. I know what I can do, but don't have a clue how to do it. I am reading the User Manual very meticulously, but there are things it just doesn't explain. Can you tell me which forum I should post to for the following topics:

1. Basic fundamentals. For example, I've created Titles and Captions but neither of them show up in the Project Panel. I search online a lot but apparently the tutorials are not the version I am working with. It says to open x panel, and there is no such panel (or it is named differently).

2. Export settings. When I look at the avi file properties, it doen't even mention the Canopus DV codec. There are serveral export formats High Adaptive quality, 2160, 1080, 720 etc. I don't see a difference in the quality. The DV codec is 720x480, but everything gets made into 4:3 ratio.

Thank you for your help! I was excited about resurrecting my project but I am running into so may issues, I am having second doubts. Rick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines