• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows File browser doesn't appear or gets stuck behind premiere pro program freeze.

Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since I updated to Adobe Premiere Pro 2022 I've been having this problem. When trying to export a video and clicking on the file location, it opens up the windows file exporer. However that pop up window never appears. I think it's stuck off screen or behind the window of Adobe itself. I can't figure out a way to make it re-appear. This also happens when trying to browse through my luts, while using Lumetri Color and opening the File browser.

Please see the video:
https://youtu.be/aGObIAup8VY

At that point all i can do is open task manager and close premiere pro, because nothing works, everything is frozen as adobe assusmes I have to be in the file browser, but I cannot see the file browser.

Bug Unresolved

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
32 Comments
Community Expert ,
Aug 25, 2022 Aug 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Delete the Media Cache and Media Cache files:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-clear-your-media-cache-in-30-seconds-in-premi...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the preferences:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/faq-how-to-reset-trash-preferences-in-premiere-pro/td-p/...

If that doesn't work, try resetting the Workspaces:
Reset a workspace
Reset the current workspace to return to its original, saved layout of panels.
1. Do one of the following:
• Click the Workspace menu icon and select Reset to Saved Layout.
• Choose Window > Workspace > Reset to Saved Layout.
from here:
https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-pro/using/workspaces.html

If that doesn't work, try Preferences > Audio Hardware and set Input to None.

If that doesn’t work, try updating or rolling back your graphics driver directly from the video card manufacturer’s site. If NVIDIA, do a clean installation of the latest Studio Driver (NOT the Game Driver)

If that doesn't work, try creating a new project and import the old one into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followed all actions, none seem to work. 
Creating a new project doesn't fix it either, as I get this problem with every fresh new project.

Resetting the workspace sometimes seems to extend the period before this problem occurs. However I think it's simply an Adobe bug. The window just gets stuck behind Premiere Pro. And I can't click minimize or anything to reach the window. 

I'm pretty sure it's behind Premiere and not off screen. As I dealt with that issue before and can easily fix that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 09, 2022 Sep 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correction, actually it's not behind Premiere as I can resize the window with Windowskey+Arrows and move it around the screen. It's also not visible under Windowskey+TAB.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 22, 2022 Sep 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is actually a huge issue, I'm forced to rollback at this point since this problem is seriously interfering with work.

I have the exact same problem. The program is clearly still running just fine, but the pop-up window has taken all control of the program and is completely invisible or somewhere unreachable, and therefore the program is essentially softlocked.
This happens with export popout when trying to change save location, and also with other windows like export caption location and probably import although I use media browser anyways.

The problem does seem to appear after a certain time using the program, I tested with caption export and regular export and the explore window pops up fine if I do it right when I open the project. 

This definitely needs to be addressed asap, as it literally makes the program almost unusable for certain actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 05, 2022 Oct 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it's a clear adobe bug, not sure where I else I should report the bug. But obviously this sin't the place as no Adobe Tech responds to it.

Just curious what system are you running (GPU/CPU?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having a very similar issue, as described here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/random-export-window-error/td-p/13233617

I can't replicate the issue with the changing of LUT in Lumetri Color as you've described, and it only happens on a small percentage of my exports.  Seemingly totally random.  Same chiming noise as you experience, though there's no pop-up dialog to be found that might be blocking access to the Premiere app.

I found that when this is happening, if I navigate to Encoder I'm not then able to navigate back to Premiere just by clicking on the Premiere window.  That results in the chime.  The only way to get back to Premiere is to click the icon in the taskbar...though Premiere is still inoperable upon returning.

Really hope a talented Adobe engineer bothers to investigate this one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Woaw, I just had something happen to me that completely surprised me. 
This same bug happened to me again, while trying it import a LUT through Lumetri. I got so annoyed I had to take a break from the PC and went to get a drink and take a chill. After I got back, I saw the file browser window actually pop up and I got to import the lut as it unlocked Premiere Pro again. This must have been like 15-20 minutes.

So it's almost as if it were 15 minutes delayed to open the file browser.

Reported the bug also:
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/45776020-fix-bug-file-brows...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please tell us your windows screen resolution.  Premiere requires a certain minimum.    And are you working with multiple monitors.  If so, as a troubleshooting step, disconnect all but your main monitor and ses if that solves the problem.   If it does, post back and we'll see if we can figure out how to get you back up and running with multiple monitors...  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2022 Oct 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this issue as well, and my my colleagues get it randomly also.

It is random when it happens but when it does, its so annoying, The export window doesn't appear and I have to force quite my Premiere.

Have you had any good feed back? 
I've tried everything!

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 18, 2022 Nov 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately not, just updated to Premiere version 23 as well and the problem still happens regularly. 

Mind sharing your specs? I'm trying to see if this is an AMD/Corsair RAM issue as described in another thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 05, 2023 Feb 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

screen resoultion 2560 x 1440
No multiple monitors, just a single one.

Updated up to version 23.1 Still facing this issue, it's making premiere pro absolutely unworkable. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 06, 2023 Feb 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue here, AMD CPU, but G-Skill Memory, 3 montitors 2560 x 1440

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here. For years, since version 20 or 21. I´m on 23 and it´s happening every single time I use premirere pro, but it´s not regular or have a pattern. It has some kind of randomness...

Once I did it return, but I can´t remember what I did or pressed. In a hurry I just got a relief moment and go head on work.
It must be some kind of shortcut...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 22, 2023 Mar 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It´s so, but so annoying - because it´s clearly some related with Adobe program and windows itself, some coding problem I do not have know-how to solve - and Adobe keeps pretending it´s not happening that I´m really asking myself if I´ll not loose less time gettng in  the learning curve of Davinci and changing my tool that all the editing time I had lost with this problem and the fact that in more then an year THERE´S NOT perspective of correction of a problem that happens EVERY SINGLE DAY of work. Good Luck for  we all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 24, 2023 Mar 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i am having the exact same issue. basically there is supposed to be a Windows Explorer pop-up window but it is not popping up. It does however freeze my Premiere Pro screen so the only thing I can do is end task or restart my PC. help!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this seriously needs fixing. getting the same issue all the time and just lost a load of work being forced to close the app without being able to save. Infuriating and considering switching different editing software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always set my autosave interval to 5 minutes so that's the maximum amount of work I can lose...  The default interval is 15 minutes I think...  Did you check your autosave folder for an autosave?  Not arguing with the need for a fix, but clearly this is not happening to most of the people working with Premiere on windows.  I work in Premiere on both mac and windows and have never seen this behavior on either platform...  don't have time right now to dig thru this entire thread, but have you or anyone else filed a bug report on this?     And gotta say back around 4 years ago, I would get random crashes when rendering sections of the timeline, so I learned to do a manual save reflexively before rendering...  For me at least, I'm committed to Premiere as my NLE of choice and when there's an issue I can almost always figure out a workaround and keep working.  For other people, Resolve is a better choice...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2023 Apr 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone a fix for this?? 

Its still happening! @Michael Grenadier  Any news on this?
Its going on too long now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2023 Apr 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is insane. I can't believe I pay so much for this software when workflow-breaking bugs like this just don't get fixed for years at a time. Please, please, fix this, adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 12, 2023 May 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having the same issue in 23.4.0 (Build 56) for Windows 11 (2x UHD displays).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: fully clearing the Media Cache seems to have helped so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CoraxIncarna, thanks for posting the update.  Not enough people do...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

and gotta say I have seen this problem on my windows machine.  Was never that crucial...  I could always just manually find it quickly.  and also gotta say that after working intensively in Premiere for at least 6 years, I've never had a problem that clearing the cache solved...    Guess I've just been lucky...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 24, 2023 May 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still having these issues nothing is helping. Can Adobe fix this now Please!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate