• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Windows or Mac

Guide ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Windows. I see many Video Editing tutorials are in Mac. Which is good for Video Editing? Which OS most mployers prefer?

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It all depends. Some shops are pretty much all Mac, some are mixed, a few mostly PCs.

I'm "independent" and totally PC. Being able to work in both is never a bad thing, but I've never needed to spend the bucks for Mac gear besides my PCs. Currently running a 24 core Threadripper with 128GB of RAM and a 2080Ti, works very good both in PrPro and AfterEffects. Oh, and Resolve also.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is kind of like asking:  Which is better, Coke or Pepsi?  Ford or Chevy?

We all have our own preferences.  I'm also a Windows guy.  The last Mac I used was booted from a 5 1/4 floppy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I followed a desing software tutorial, but I coulden't see any instructor using Mac all were in Windows. But in Premiere Pro I cannot see any instructor with Windows all are in Mac.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've done tuts with PCs, and watched many YouTube or even LinkedIn Learning tuts where the presenter was on PCs. So I think it's perhaps your sample ...

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Remember there is very little difference in how Premiere Pro (and most apps) runs in either Mac or Windows. So it does not really matter if you are learning to use Premiere Pro on Windows but watching a Mac tutorial. *

You will likely come across employers that use both OS's ... so it can be very useful to be familiar with both Windows and MacOS.

And going from a familar OS to one you don't know well can be confronting. All my clients were Mac based. One switched to Windows many years ago and it was a big learning curve to get to know how everything works in so many areas on an unfamiliar OS  ... but actually using Premiere Pro (and Photoshop, AE etc.) on Windows - no problem.

* there are some differences - mainly alt/option and control/command keys.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use both a PC and a Mac actually side by side.  It is a learning curve to get use to the different commands on two different operating systems.  I have done it so long I am use to it. 

I just purchased a 14" M1 Max/64GB/ 1TB Macbook Pro and did my first project on it today\.  I was also doing a project on my Windows PC, an AMD Threadripper/ 1080ti/ 64GB/ 3 - 1TB SSDs at the same time.  I work on one and while it encodes or renders I work on the other one.  

The MBP is portable which allows me to work at home and with COVID that has become more of a reality here lately.   

It really is all about preference as both OS work well with all the Video Editing apps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is good you have mentioned COVID. I wish to extend this discussion. I am a Mechanical Engineer due to COVID pandemic I decided to work from home. Video Editing (VE) is on demand and many job ads say work is remote or from home. That is why I opted for VE.

What are the qualification needed for VE. Many companies only expecting only one year experience.      

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are the qualification needed for VE.

By @MahaB82A

Well...

That depends upon the company and what software the company uses and how it uses it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I think of all the things I could say about skills needed in video editing - and there are a lot- regardless of which software is used I find getting the audio right to be the most challenging and necessary skill.  As I said there are a lot more but audio I find to be what most beginners really struggle with. IMO

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines