• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wish: middle mouse button /scroll wheel click acts as the 'hand tool'.

Community Beginner ,
Mar 28, 2020 Mar 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe, could you please make it possible to access the hand tool functionality via the middle mouse button / scroll wheel. The same way it works in After Effect and all other 3'rd party software. It will excellerate all the workflow.

Thanks in advance.  🙂

Idea No status

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
23 Comments
Explorer ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please!! That would be so nice to have

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 18, 2021 Jul 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Adobe,

it has been more than a year for this rather simple feature request, and it is not yet implemented in the current 2021 premiere. when can we expect this to be done?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something that can probably be accomplished with either the mouse manufacturers or a third party mouse setup utility.  Do some googling and I'll bet you find something.  And if you find something, post back and let people know 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I bought a programmable mouse and made it work exactly the way described.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks for posting.  Can you tell us the manufacturer and model?  Might help someone here.  Personally, I have "H" on the keyboard mapped to the handtool.    

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2022 Aug 31, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

use Xmouse button control software, and the following code for middle button under simulated keys, paste the following

{PRESS}H{LMB}{WAITMS50}{RELEASE}{LMB}V

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2022 Oct 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SteerMouse worked for me. It was a tough search for this solution haha

Here's a good tutorial for it as well hope this helps!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E8jrUyue5I

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2023 May 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an engineer & designer, every other app I use in my workflow uses middle-mouse-drag gesture for direct 1:1 view panning (or the 3D-equivalent). Acrobat Pro already has several options to customize mouse behavior related to the Hand tool, so why not let us choose between Acrobat's default "cruise-control pan" behavior and the industry-standard of "1:1 pan"?

Both features are already present, we just want to choose what method our middle-mouse button does.

(I did try to "hack" this action into Logitech's Options+ app for my Triathalon 720 mouse, but I wasn't able to combine a mouse click with the [space] key sadly.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2023 May 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are there any other settings to consider on this? It doesn't work for me. I have it set to send the simulated key stroke option 1. Should it be set to 9 or something? What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 02, 2023 Dec 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just found out that the middle click was implemented in 1996 by Microsoft (Intellimouse), and since then, it has been widely adopted by all computer mouse manufacturers:

images.jpeg

But for some reason, Adobe has not taken full advantage of having a scroll wheel with a middle click, even after 27 years. Adobe's developers seem to be very lazy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Something like "Adobe Mouse" could be interesting, but input device drivers and corresponding software is probably best left to the device manufacturer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, the xmousebutton macro doesn't work like mentioned above. i tried many permutations, including step 1/2, but can't get it to work either.
it would be so much easier for the adobe team to pretty please implement this finally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Warren Heaton There is no need for special drivers. Any regular third-party mouse can function as a generic mouse input device. It operates at the OS level. If the scroll wheel and middle click work in the OS, they can also function in applications running on that OS. App developers just need to incorporate them; for instance, in this case, they need to utilize it as a hand tool (panning tool).

It should work as follows:

Scroll wheel down/up → Zoom In/Out

Scroll wheel click + drag → Panning (hand tool)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The feature has 15 votes.  Good luck!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Warren Heaton  wrote:

The feature has 15 votes. Good luck!

That's because most users on this forum are encountering multiple bugs and performance issues, which is typical for Adobe products. So, firstly, they want those troubles to be fixed, which is unlikely to happen, knowing Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my macs, one and two finger gestures take care of this functionality in Pr and AE...and modifiers expand my options... but I realize I may be missing some details...

Is this mostly for PC workflows?  

In AE, you can hold down the space bar to make the hand tool active.  Is that less desirable than pressing the scroll wheel?

If it were possible to hold down the space bar in Pr to make the hand tool active, would that deliver what you're asking for?

What am I missing?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Wes Howell 

On my macs, one and two finger gestures take care of this functionality in Pr and AE...and modifiers expand my options... but I realize I may be missing some details...

By @Wes Howell 

Do both the "pinch in/out with two fingers" gesture to zoom in/out and the "swipe with two fingers" gesture for panning work properly on your Mac? Personally, on my Mac, the "swipe with two fingers" gesture moves the playhead in Premiere Pro, and in After Effects, it zooms in/out instead of panning for some reason. I wrote a bug report about it here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/after-effects-bugs/pan-tool-doesn-t-work-with-a-two-finger-swipe-move...

I'm using macOS 12.7.1, MacBook Pro 2015 13".

Is this mostly for PC workflows?

By @Wes Howell 

It applies to both Windows PCs and Macs.

In AE, you can hold down the space bar to make the hand tool active.  Is that less desirable than pressing the scroll wheel?

By @Wes Howell 

Holding the spacebar to temporarily enable the pan was implemented in the 80s, approximately 40 years ago. It's an outdated feature. The scroll wheel, implemented in 1996, can provide a better and more comfortable way to temporarily enable the pan tool. It enhances the workflow, speeds up the working process, and makes the app more comfortable to use. That's why it's widely used in CAD and 3D apps.

So, yes, holding down the space bar + left mouse button is less desirable than simply holding the scroll wheel pressed to activate the hand tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Brumby17 

I'd be fine if pressing the middle mouse button to toggle the Hand Tool was supported as an option at the application level, but pressing and holding the spacebar to do so should never change.

It's not outdated.  It's foundational for Photoshop, Illustrator, After Effects, and InDesign. It's anywhere from a few years to decades of muscle memory for users that does not need to change.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Warren Heaton 

I don't mind retaining old features for old users who have already established workflows and muscle memory, but new features should be implemented for newcomers to enhance their overall user experience.

Although the 'spacebar + left click drag' feature is considered 'foundational,' it is indeed outdated. Since its introduction in the 80s, better solutions have been developed. Check this out:

Year of creation

Spacebar + Left Click drag

80s

Scroll Wheel

Trackpad Gestures (two-finger swipe gesture)

Touch panel on a mouse (Magic Mouse)

Some of Adobe's apps have already integrated these technologies, but others haven't. As far as I know, the current situation is as follows:

Hand tool in:

Spacebar + left click drag

Scroll Wheel click

Two-finger swipe gesture on a trackpad

After Effects

OK

OK

Photoshop

OK

OK (there is a bug)

Illustrator

OK

OK

OK

Premiere Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Warren Heaton 

By the way, how do you scroll through long documents and webpages on your computer? Do you still drag the outdated scrollbars up and down, or do you use the modern scroll wheel and/or touchpad gestures (like two-finger swipe up/down)? I genuinely wonder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

space bar is usually associated with play/pause in almost all NLE (video apps)... using it as the pan tool is interferring with that.

I use xmouse for photoshop to use the MMB as pan tool, instead of the space bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@joergeng84239194 

space bar is usually associated with play/pause in almost all NLE (video apps)... using it as the pan tool is interferring with that.

By @joergeng84239194 

No, it doesn't. In After Effects, the spacebar works fine for both play/pause and the hand tool:

• Single press of the spacebar → Play/Pause
  • Holding the spacebar + left-click drag → temporarily activates the hand tool

It could work same way in Premiere Pro too.

Votes

Translate

Translate