• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Working with iCloud files in Premiere Pro

Explorer ,
Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of my files are stored in my iCloud account, this includes videos, music files, sound effects, motion graphics, images, and so on. Once I have created a project and imported the necessary files, everything is good for about 30 minutes, but then they go missing and have to be re-linked / replaced. This happens about every 30 minutes or so. Also, every time I re-open the file, I have to re-link / replace all the missing files again. Is there a way to fix this issue? Thanks in advance for any tips.

TOPICS
Error or problem , How to , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 18, 2020 Feb 18, 2020

Placing the files you work with on a local HDD and edit with those files will solve the issue.

Keep iCloud out of your workflow, use it for storing files and backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Placing the files you work with on a local HDD and edit with those files will solve the issue.

Keep iCloud out of your workflow, use it for storing files and backups.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 31, 2020 May 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have thousands of photos and videos of varying formats, collected over 2 years, and painstakingly sorted into folders and albums. They are all stored in iCloud.

I now want to do a major video project with Premier Pro. This requires having all photos and videos on a PC drive (as constant downloading of each clip when wishing to import to Premier is impractical and unstable).

However, Apple Support and their experts tell me it is impossible to download from iCloud to a PC without losing all the folders and albums. I guess they want me to buy a Mac. Both budget and principle will not allow me to do that. 

My albums and folders represent months of work.

I realise this is an Apple problem, but can Adobe or its users provide any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and found a solution of sorts. Purchase an SSD
drive to store files. These will be easily accessible when needed and free
up space on your computer and it eliminates the cloud problem. For about
$169 i think you can get a sandisk 1TB SSD drive. I hope that helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not a proper solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The way iCloud 're-syncs' every half hour is what is knocking out the links to the media within Premiere. And there's nothing that Adobe can do about that, it's the way iCloud is structured.

For most use, one needs the video files ON the local system as they are too big to move that quickly between internet storage and your computer for Premeire to be able to work with them. It's a physical limitation of upload/download speeds.

I am working with Mo Moola who's in South Africa. I'm in Oregon/USA. With the LucidLink service using the Amazon S3 servers in London, we are getting online work with Team Projects workflows nearly like having local storage. It's the only such service I've tried that actually works. But of course, it also ... costs.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, I understand the problem better now. I had a problem relinking my iCloud files to my project after a recent os update. It looked like the security update 'denied file access' to my library folder. I found a workaround by unchecking the 'Use Media Browser to locate files' that made it possible to relink my iCloud files and had a stable workflow since then.

Regards

Wolraad

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 18, 2021 Feb 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you do the work around? I am running into the same issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Garrett, if your only concern is to re-link your iCloud files when receiving the msg 'file access denied'. Then you can locate your file by - unchecking the 'Use Media Browser to locate files' in the link media window - click locate, and use your finder window to navigate to your iCloud folder. From there you should be able to link your files and work with premiere uninterruptedly. This was a quick fix for me, but it does not mean it will work in every situation. 🙂

Regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked great! Thank you so much for this solution! I store everything on my 2TB iCloud storage as well as hard drive. But I dont always have my hard drive with me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 07, 2021 Jul 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You rock!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure what your opinion of a "Proper" solution would be, (likely something that has a monthly bill attached to it), but the SSD has been a PERFECT solution and has solved not only the "File not found" issue, but also storage and organizational issues. I cannot think of, or recommend, a better solution than using an SSD to defeat the iCloud issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just pointing out the proposed solution, does not address the problem but rather avoids it. Technically there must be a better understanding of the problem as @R Neil Haugen pointed out. There are valid reasons for people storing their files online and needs them to be cloud accessible (without buying extra gear). If you want to use your iCloud drive with Premiere Pro you must be able to do so, especially if it didn't cause any problems in the past.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sounds like an apple issue to me.  I don't think this is what icloud is meant for (but what do I know...).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it is a compatibility issue. iCloud drive is a widely used feature and like any other drive used to store files; Adobe must make it possible to access them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cloud stored media is not accessible with the dependable speeds necessary for editing in most cases.   Even editing over a local network can be problematic.   

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I am having the same issue! Have you found a way to fix this issue? I can't figure out where the files need to be saved to avoid this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

please describe your situation in detail.  If you've copied the files that were living on icloud to a local drive you should be able to "make offline" within Premiere and the relink to the local files...  If I'm missing something, let us know.  wouldn't be the first time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I purchased an SSD (SanDisk Extreme 1TB SSD for about $169) and use this to organize and store all my files now. This has solved the issue with files not being found and having to be re-linked every 30 minutes, and I recently found that it solves another unforeseen problem. When the internet went out recently due to the severe cold front we are having, I was still able to work due to the fact that my files are not stored on in iCloud. This alone is reason enough to use an SSD, and to only use iCloud as an emergency backup, NOT as your primary file storage location.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

apple in all their wisdom automatically stores the desktop in icloud.  And guess what?  If you put a lot of files on your desktop without realizing this, apple starts telling you you need to buy more storage...  Now I'm sure that apple isn't doing this to increase revenue.........  So if you can store your media on an external drive, that will solve the problem.  and save you some money.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 27, 2020 Apr 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, 

I am having a similar issue due to the annoyance of Apple and iCloud! I (of course) recently ran out of storage on my new MacBook Pro while I was in the middle of working on a big project in Premiere. Per the suggestion of Apple, I uploaded all of my iPhoto library on the computer to iCloud, which I didn't realize also removed all of the media from the timeline I had in the project. I proceeded to re-download all of my photos in hopes that it would simply reverse this accident. To my great disappointment, however, I have been unable to re-locate these missing files, even though they re-downloaded. I would greatly greatly appreciate if somebody could assist me with this issue and walk me through the steps to re-link the media because I struggle with the technical aspects. Thank you very much! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 01, 2020 Jun 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you re-link the files in Premiere it only downloads them temporarily, then they upload again to the cloud and you have to re-link them again. This is super annoying. The only fix I've been able to come up with is to store the files on a SSD. This frees up space on your computer, solves the missing file problem, and doesn't cost a lot. The Sandisk SSD's can be purchased on Amazon. The 500GB is $81, 1TB is $150 and 2TB is $299. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 25, 2020 Aug 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on a macbook.  I used to have my entire disk mirrored on MS OneDrive, giving me a virtually unlimited Drive that would store files not used for a while, leaving a virtual "File" in place.  When inDesign called on an asset that had been removed, OneDrive would automatically return the file to the disk.  It was amazing.  I switched to iCloud wanting tighter integration, and now files that are not locally stored are concidered unavailable... Seems like this is a simple permission thing that OneDrive gave and iCloud does not... I assume then that Adobe doesnt need to change anything, its Apple's iCloud that needs to make the change?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's great until you lose your internet connection and/or your power goes out. Store them on an SSD and you're good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2022 Sep 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah, until your ssd stop working and you loose all your files. That's why we store them in the cloud...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines