• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Workspace does not hold it's settings

Advocate ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a major annoyance. I design a Workspace that I love, and almost every time that I open a project, I have to reset part of it. The main thing is that I place my Project Panel in my left monitor.

Sometimes I'll open a project, and it will still be in the left monitor. Other times it will be back in the Main monitor ganged with the Source, Effects, Effect Controls, etc. Sometimes at that point I can 'Reset to Saved Layout', and the Project Panel will snap back to the left monitor...sometimes it wont, and I have to manually drag it over and size.

I have 'Import Workspace from Projects' unchecked. I've tried deleting the Layouts folder, but the problem still remains.

TOPICS
User interface or workspaces

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 12, 2020 Jun 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having workspace issues with 2020 14.2, so finally I tried remaking them all and saving to my CC account. But it started, then gave me a message that I couldn't complete until I down-synced for some reason. What the hay, I went and down-synced.

And my workspaces stayed the same. So I up-synced, closed Premiere ... and everything was still there.

So try re-syncing your workspaces and all to your CC account. On PCs, it's File/your-account-name/Sync Settings Now.

In the User Preferences, Sync Settings tab, you can set whether on invoking sync it 1) asks your preference (for this sync); 2) Always uploads settings or 3) always downloads.

Mine is set to ask my preference.

Give it a try, mine finally are stable.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 20, 2020 Jun 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've given this a try for the last week, but still have the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neil, as always thank you for your help and I appreciate your directions. I'll try that next time.

But I'll have to agree with sebrame on this.  Premiere really needs to devote some attention to these workspaces. It really shouldn't be this hard. No doubt, some people have mastered the art on how to control them, but it never behaves for me. And I've done every reset, rebuild suggested. I'll try your suggestion as a last resort. But I don't sync to the cloud, ever.

I never know where my project window will be. Constantly moving it back to the left monitor, resave workspace, next time it opens in a tab on the main window. Even in After Effects, my startup space is always saved with Lumetri Waveform y/c no chroma and vectorscopes showing, but it always opens only full Waveform with chroma. At least the rest of the workspaace is more predictable than Premiere.

I use Nuendo and Cinema 4d as my other two main programs. Both have workspaces that behave simply as expected. C4D even has a "save as startup layout". This is nice because if while I'm working, I open and close a bunch of things, I can reload the startup layout and everything pops back perfectly to where I expect. With Premiere, I never know where things are going to open. Especially my project window, and what the icons layout will be, etc. etc.

You get the idea. This really shouldn't even be a point of discussion. But I see enough threads on here to let me know—it's not working for a lot of people as expected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

is it happening with one specfic workspace? or with all of your workspaces? have you tried saving a new version of your workspace? have tried trashing preferences?

Let's try those first, and if you are still having a problem, it might be with the way dual monitors are set up, and how PP detects them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I only have one custom Workspace. Tried trashing prefs a couple of times, but no help.
Here's my setup...

monitor-setup.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought I heard there were more issues when the Project panel was not on the main monitor, I have mine on the main and it's pretty consistent. We do have the 'Reset to saved layout' on every workspace, which sounds like what BNC described as 'startup' layout. There is an option under the Window/Workspaces menu to import workspace from project, I have mine off (non-default) always.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, my project panel (among others) is on the left monitor, the middle is the rest of the workspace and the right is the full screen playback through mercury. I've tried all the suggestions including the "reset to saved layout" but I guess since I'm saving with a lot of my panels in the left panel (including the project) it never loads back correctly.

I've just gotten used to it and live with it. Guess my point was—on the other programs, workspaces behave like they should. And I know this doesn't happen to everyone... so no big deal. I'll move on. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jun 21, 2020 Jun 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like you have the main UI on the second panel as far as Windows is concerned? If so, that's something that can be problematic with Premeire. It tends to prefer if the window with the menus & such is on the main or 1 monitor in the OS.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Actually, the monitor labeled '2' is set as the 'Main Display'. Doesn't matter, though...I've been trying every combination that I can think of for the past several days, and cannot seem to overcome the issue. I guess I'm resigned to just 'deal with it'. Troubleshooting the problem is taking way more time and causing much more frustration than simply rearranging the panels each time I open a project.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jun 22, 2020 Jun 22, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If this was for me then, no, the Main UI is definitely on what Windows 10 considers the main panel. But don't worry about it, Neil, you're always a big help and I appreciate it. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines