Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wrong colors in a psd when exporting in Premiere

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2022 Mar 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello guys,

I've made an animation in Premiere using a psd. When I first imported the psd to Premiere the colors looked wrong, much more saturated than the original psd. I've checked the Enable Display Color Management in Preferences and the colors looked good, like in the original, but when I export the sequence it looks too saturated again. I've tried many different export settings with Render at maximum depth and Maximum render quality, but the problem persists.

Any idea?

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi rombay,

Sorry. Can you please send us a screenshot of your Sequence Settings?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for replying. I'm adding the settings and the two different colors (left correct, right wrong) BUT, since I posted the question I've figured it's actually not so bad. The colors look good in most of the apps, it's just some players that (because of the color space, I understand) interpret these colors differently, like in some of settings of Premiere/AE. Unfortunately I had VLC as a default to play my exports just because reads all the files, and there the wrong colors showed up all the time, so I guess it's something very specific of some apps/settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 17, 2022 Mar 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, rombay,

Thanks for writing back. I agree that those colors in the example you linked me to are not the same - although I love those two colors! 🙂 Thanks for attaching the images and the screenshot of the settings at Rec. 709 - which sounds completely normal.

I agree with you that colors look different in different applications. It is even more challenging if you have something like an iMac with a P3 screen. Can you describe the specs of your computer?

Are you using QuickTime Player as to color reference, by any chance? Interestingly, VLC is what the engineering types tell me is best for referencing color and luma values. My suggestion is that if this is causing you any grief, you report it to the product team here: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, thanks for answering back. 

I'm using the iMac retina 5k with color profile P3. Intel core i7 4.2 GHz, 32gb ram, graphic card radeon pro 580 8gb. I did a calibration some years ago and never had any real issue, even though I know monitor calibration can get very technical and esoteric really quick 😉

Also thanks for the link but I don't think this is an Adobe related issue. As you said, this is more about color display and pixel interpretation of some applications. I've been tweaking around VLC settings and couldn't find anywhere to change the color display, so for now I'm back at using QuickTime as default player despite the engineering types advice, until I find a better solution.

Thanks for all the info and advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue is that Apple chose to make ColorSync color managment utility with odd choices for applying 'standards' for Rec.709 video. They apply 1.96 gamma rather than the 2.4 standard, and seem to also leave off the display-referred transform function.

So Kevin's comments about specific viewers is actually quite a knowledgeable one, because some viewers like QuickTime player and the Chrome and Safari browsers allow ColorSync to manage their video display.

Others like VLC player and Firefox browser don't. So you tend to get a more accurate Rec.709 view in VLC and Firefox on a Mac than with QuickTime Player, Chrome or Safari browsers.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 20, 2023 Oct 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A quick workaround for this:

1. Open your PSD in photoshop.
  2. CONVERT to profile: Rec709
  3. Then ASSIGN profile sRGB.
  4. Save and reimport into premiere.

This works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines