• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Wrong timecode when importing srt files (v 15.4.1)

Community Beginner ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi people,

I apologize in advance if that issue has been addressed somewhere else on this forum, but I haven't found a solution after about 2 hours of testing and searching.

Super simple to explain: Premiere isn't importing captions from an srt file at the right timecode (the one written in the srt itself). See screenshots (corresponding timecodes), you'll instantly see what the problem is. You'll only see 3 captions but the problem extends to the whole duration of the video.

I've noticed the file imports as 30fps and my project is at 23.976. If there's a way to change this, it's well hidden. Not sure that's the issue though.

I'm using the latest Premiere version (15.4.1)

MBP 16inch, late 2019

Catalina 10.15.17

2,4 GHz i9

64Gb RAM DDR4

Radeon Pro 5500M 8Gb 

Anyone?

Thanks!

Domi

TOPICS
Error or problem , Formats , Import

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Ok so here's the verdict: my perfectionism was the issue. I guess.

When comparing the timecodes in the SRT file with the ones in the Premiere timeline, they look pretty different but they're actually very close to one another. I thought that if they're off by a second or so in the begining of the video, by the end they'll be completely out of sync, but it isn't the case.

Soooooooo I'm basically an idiot, and I guess it's good that this thread is on the internet in case there's other idio...errr.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How did you import the srt?

I can't find a link to the post, but I think staff have explained that the 30fps shown in the project panel is actually not meaningful. In the new caption workflow, caption tracks are not video tracks/clips, and do not have a framerate.

I have assumed that this means that at some point(s), srts and similar must be interpreted to a framerate - or the literal timecodes would have to be used - and they clearly are not.

So, if you did not import the srt directly to your sequence, try that.

Let us know.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response Stan!

I've tried all manners of importing...

- using the import dialog box;

- dragging the file from Finder directly to my project bin;

- using the "import captions from file" button present in the Time prior to creating a new subtitle track.

... all with the same result.

I've just tried simply dragging the file from Finder to the timeline, but the cursor changes to "Can't let you do that, Domi".

Other things I've tried...

- Creating a subtitle track first, then add the srt to it;

- letting Premiere automatically create the track by dragging the file from the bin to the timelime;

- tried all the track formats;

- tried all the Start Point options;

- messed around with different syntax formating within the file itself.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Trent Happel If you can shed any light on this, it would be helpful. We have seen some other reports of similar issues - I think also involving 23.976.

Dominic, try creating a new test project. Create your sequence (on video/simple is fine; just the basic properties is all that is needed). It does not need to match the length of the captions. Then import to that sequence using the "import captions" option. The captions are saved in the project file, and I wonder if there is any chance that once you import to the project, it will no longer adapt the captions.

You can contact Adobe help; I'm not recalling if there is still a video queue. But I'm not sure they'll have a fix.

In my tests, I have not been able to recreate this problem, but it is all about the assets.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did see this post, although I just realized it comes from Adobe staff itself. How confusing...!

The thread doesn't tell if the original poster has resolved the issue.

I have a series of 4 videos to add subs to, each in 5 different languages. There's no way I can adjust everything by hand. And of course, I'm on a deadline.

Sorry for the noob question but... is there a way to reach Adobe directly?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok so here's the verdict: my perfectionism was the issue. I guess.

When comparing the timecodes in the SRT file with the ones in the Premiere timeline, they look pretty different but they're actually very close to one another. I thought that if they're off by a second or so in the begining of the video, by the end they'll be completely out of sync, but it isn't the case.

Soooooooo I'm basically an idiot, and I guess it's good that this thread is on the internet in case there's other idio...errr.... "perfectionists" like me. 

Thanks @Stan Jones !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

lol.

Here's what is actually happening. It confirms your believe that, even if not "perfect," the differences will be tiny. So you can rest easy. I thought about this when posting, but did not pay close enough attention....

The srt, as is common, uses milliseconds instead of frames. So PR converts the milliseconds to frames (in your 23.976 sequence). But it also does not make sense. All 3 of the examples you list have milliseconds that are less than the first frame: one second divided by 23.976 frames is about 42 milliseconds. So when PR converts, it is dropping to the previous frame, i.e. the previous second. 

I wonder about the source of the srt.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 23, 2021 Aug 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem

Imported 10 srt files and rendered perfectly ok with 10 videos as burn-in caption with premiere pro 15 ,2021 PC .
Import other 10 identical srt files, same computer, same format,  to render with the same  type of videos and premiere
does not recognize the time stamp except for the first sentence. as a result, premiere cannot sync video with subtitles

Original SRT file
00:00:00,320 --> 00:00:05,040
first sentence of the subtitle text

00:00:02,399 --> 00:00:08,240
second sentence of the subtitle text

00:00:05,040 --> 00:00:09,120
Third sentence of the subtitle text

Imported into Premiere pro 2021 and seen in the caption text panel of adobe premeire

1 00:00:00:09
00:02:23:03 first sentence of the subtitle text
third sentence of the subtitle text

Any idea?

Thank you so much

Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tony!

Did you copy/paste (the time codes) directly from one of your files? If so maybe it's just a formatting error because there needs to be a line break between every captions, which aren't present in your exemple.

00:00:00,320 --> 00:00:05,040
first sentence of the subtitle text

[... a line break...]

00:00:02,399 --> 00:00:08,240

[... as in... an empty line...]

00:00:05,040 --> 00:00:09,120
Third sentence of the subtitle text

[... etc...]

That could explain why only the first caption appears...!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

For anyone following along, Tony's problem is actually different. See the thread here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro/imported-srt-files-into-adobe-premiere-pro-2021-do-not-s...

The timecodes appear to be overlapping because they are Youtube's way of doing 2 line rolling captions.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines