• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Yellow glitching and screen tear after H.264 export in Premiere Pro 2021 on M1 Mac Mini 2020 8GB.

Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2021 Sep 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys, I'm having a serious issue with exporting 1080x1920 videos on my M1 Mac Mini.

Premiere Pro is fully up to date (as of 15.09.2021). the videos are fairly long in length - between 40 and 50 minutes, and each have nested sequences of .mp4 alpha layers, a few alpha layers for graphic countdown timers and some PNG files.

In terms of effects, very small layer masks with motion tracking (top right of screen to hide a title that slides in and out behind a timer) and some slight colour correction for exposure but nothing heavy.

There are two main video layers (camera 1 & 2), and 7 tracks for .mp4 alpha animations and nested sequences. (see screenshots)

I have had some success with exporting the alpha tracks seperately as 1 big animation file, and then baking the two together, but it still sometimes causes glitches after export (and adds 40 minutes per video to export), while I have 6 hours of content to deliver per week.

I have seen slightly less glitching by using Premiere to export natively as opposed to using Media Encoder, but this obviously eats up workflow.

To be clear - there are absolutely no glitches in-program, and playback is perfect. Rendering is not an issue either. The glitches only appear post-export on the final files. Mostrly they are 1 or 2 frames of an entire yellow screen, similar to the 'Media Pending' screen. Sometimes certain elements of the video glitch by themselves.

Footage was shot on Canon 5D Mk. IV's - 1080x1920 @29.97fps, and the sequences are all set up as the same - 1080x1920, 29.97fps. Its definitely not a footage issue, as I can export the footage without error.

Export settings are H.264, Custom (Max Render Quality, Max depth), VBR 1 Pass. I am currently trialling using software encoding only, as I have tried just about everything under the sun using Hardware Encoding but not found a fix yet.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Mike Savage.

TOPICS
Editing , Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

This is for a fitness video that will be sold, correct?

Transcode everything to ProRes 422 LT.  Make a duplicate of your fine cut (the Sequence that you're exporting for your main edit).  Select all of the video clips, right-click and choose Render and Replace using Inididual Clips, QuickTime, Match Source - Apple ProRes 422 LT.

WarrenHeaton_0-1660842076527.png

You'l need about 700MB per minute of video for storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Hey Warren, thanks for your message. 

How I eventually got around this problem -

1. I disabled all video and audio layers

2. Exported the graphics and overlays layers only, with the following settings:

Format: Quicktime

Video Codec: Animation

Render: 8PBC + Alpha

This basically created a full length animation file with all of the timers and graphic motions with a solid alpha background.

3. I then imported this new file, placed it over the video layers as a single layer, removed alpha, and then ren

Votes

Translate

Translate
Advisor ,
Sep 16, 2021 Sep 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try exporting by unchecking the Max Render Quality & Max depth settings? if not try exporting it onces without these options checked..if it does not get fixed then trying exporting using Adobe Media Encoder.

Vishu Aggarwal
Adobe Certified Instructor, Professional and Expert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Vishu. I am finding that using Media Encoder makes it somehow worse. I have tried many different options, checking Max Render and Max Depth on and off, only one on and one off, etc. I think I have tried just about every option I can think of, but the problem still persists.

Any other options that might help?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Mike Savage ,

Sorry for this problem.

Can you please share a sample media which is causing this issue ? We will try at our end and report back.

Thanks,

Mayjain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mayjain, thanks for your response. I have included a few quick cuts of exported clips to show you here - the yellow full screen flashing appears at random, while the white and black glitching/tears appear when a particular animation and gaussian blur have their opacity set to zero. You will also see some of the animation timers tend to blink here and there at random as well. 

As I mentioned poreviously in this thread these are all occuring post-export only. Playback in premiere pro is perfectly smooth and no glitches. Different exports of the same timelines seem to make the glitching occur at different places as well, it's not always the same spot. Native export seems to make it glitch less (but still glitches a little) but it is definitely more apparent when I use Adobe Media Encoder.

Any help you may have will be hugely helpful!

Many thanks,

Mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance they are 422 10 bit files ? You can check file properties in Project panel. (right click on media--> Properties) or from MediaInfo tool.
If possible, please share some camera files which are causing this issue. I will try to reproduce this at my end.

Can you also try exporting with Software (or Hardware) encoding? Change it in the encode/Export settings. 
Does it make any difference ?

Thanks,
Mayjain

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mayjain, I dont think they are 422 10 bit files, they were shot on Canon 5D mk IV at 1080x1920. I dont believe Canon has a 10 bit codec for DSLR's. I have attached a screenshot for you of the media properties.

Re- Hardware/software encoding, currently set to Hardware encoding (Metal - Recommended). I tried software encoding but that would take far too long for my workflow, even overnight wouldnt work, as I normally export around 4 hours of completed footage per day.

Happy to send you a file, although they are quite large. How best would you like me to send them to you - Wetransfer or Dropbox perhaps?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike, I would do a Render In to Out 1st so that it won't be so heavy while exporting.

and if you fond the glitch during the Render In/Out, you can try to clear the render cache and render again to see if that solves the proble.

Also I notice that you're rendering using software only, is there a reason it's not set to hardware ?

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey there, thanks for your comment.

Render settings are normally Hardware Acceleration (GPU) selected, however as I have been trying so many different methods you might have seen software was selected on the screengrab, just one of the many settings changes I have been trying, to diagnose.

I normally render the entire completed video before exporting, but have found this also doesnt help, the glitching still appears after export.

I have just cleared all Premiere settings and cache so will see if that has helped when I export out files this evening and let you know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, I just came across how to recreate this glitching in-program.

With the colour workspace open, and comparison view on, when I begin playback, the source screen begins flashing like crazy. It looks exactly like this on some exports. Others it is less, but still there. Rendering the area first does not solve this.

I have attached a quick screen recording that shows this.

Hope this is helpful to diagnose!

Thanks again for all your help.

M

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Aug 18, 2022 Aug 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to get rid of the yellow screen glitch thing by rendering via Premiere rather than with Adobe Media Encoder.

This majorly sucks, but at least it works for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is for a fitness video that will be sold, correct?

Transcode everything to ProRes 422 LT.  Make a duplicate of your fine cut (the Sequence that you're exporting for your main edit).  Select all of the video clips, right-click and choose Render and Replace using Inididual Clips, QuickTime, Match Source - Apple ProRes 422 LT.

WarrenHeaton_0-1660842076527.png

You'l need about 700MB per minute of video for storage.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Warren, thanks for your message. 

How I eventually got around this problem -

1. I disabled all video and audio layers

2. Exported the graphics and overlays layers only, with the following settings:

Format: Quicktime

Video Codec: Animation

Render: 8PBC + Alpha

This basically created a full length animation file with all of the timers and graphic motions with a solid alpha background.

3. I then imported this new file, placed it over the video layers as a single layer, removed alpha, and then rendered and exported all as H.264 with VBR 2 Pass - target 15 max 20 kbps.

This gave the highest resolution export on both the video layers and animation layers while keeping the file size down, and eliminated the glitching.

It was a bit of a long-handed workaround, but it ended up eliminating the glitching and the client was happy.

Took up a heck of a lot of disk space and render time, but it got the job done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2024 Mar 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Mike Savage 

Thank you for sharing what worked for you.  Doing a graphics only pre-export was a clever workaround.  I wish I had en extra $5 for every time things are going great while editing and somehow glitching on export.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines