Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

YouTube audio normalization after mixing in premiere

Participant ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey guys, 

I was told a good mix for YouTube would be around -12DB and -6DB because YouTube normalizes the whole mix anyway? but if I want say an SFX effect like a whoosh around -18 in my mix and it sounds good in premiere but in YouTube it's much louder and not as a subtle, so I tend to export and test thousands of times and I end up putting some of the SFX -30DB for it to sound right on YouTube, is there any easy way to go about this? 

Thanks.

TOPICS
Audio , Editing , Error or problem , Export

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Dec 12, 2022 Dec 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've talked with a number of the folks on the Audition forum and others I know about this. And was told, essentially, that to be sure what was going on I needed to step up my listening system.

So ... I finally got a pair of powered studio drivers, the Eris EX5T, along with a small output device, the  Focusrite Scarlet Solo ... I'd been using a very decent stereo receiver/speaker system, but was told that this way I'd get a more "honest" sound.

And to both listen to this, and a good pair of open-back pro headphones. You hear different issues on each, this supposedly helps get all the gritches. Well, I had a pretty decent Akai headphone setup, just ... needed to actually use it.

Well ...  getting the powered studio speakesrs made a huge diffference in what I caught. I record tutorials for various places, and had been getting return comments from The Boss that they often had to clean out low-level noise and whatnot before uploading to their service. I couldn't hear what they were talking about.

But on the Eris powered setup, well ... gee ... there it was, big as day. And once I knew what to 'hear', it was there, but very low-level on the headphones.

I mix with a 'rack' of audio from gate/compressor/eq/limiter so that my absolute top signals are -6dB, from watching the meters while playing, my general voice is -12dB average. Noise gate around -28dB, compression 3:1 above 12dB.

You have to watch for transients ... quick spikes ... as those can occasionally pop in. You may need to use a track compressor on that track that's giving you troubles.

It just takes some asking around, reading up, and messing with things until you get something that works for you.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines