Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Zoom into 2 photos, side by side, but keep the crop

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2022 Nov 02, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

So, I just can't figure this out. Had thought it would be so very simple.

I've 2 photos, sitting next to each other, one to the left, the other to the right. I want to zoom into both of them (Ken Burns style), but keep the footprint of each photo as it is - ie neither encroches on the other, and keep the white gap between them. The problem that I have is that if I change the scale then they both enlarge and one covers the other.

I've tried using Crop in Effects, tried Masking opacity, but when I scale, the crop doesn't make a difference, and the Mask increases in size too. I mut be missing something, because it should be the most simple thing ever, right?!

Thans for any pointers

TOPICS
Editing , Formats

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way: use a nest.

The two pictures are on separate tracks in the sequence. Position them with no gap between. Scale at the max size point. Select both, right click, and "Nest." Now zoom them and they will behave as you wish.

If you need the white divider, add it as a graphic element in the sequence on top of the nest.

Does that work?

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stan, I really appreciate your help, thanks so much. I feel so stupid because I should be able to get this to work, but I'm having problems with the steps you've laid out giving me the zoom within the original frame.

In trying to make things easier for myself, I'm just using one photo now. That's on the left of frame, so there's white space on the right (a blank image below it in the time line).

Set to Frame Size 

Nest it

Now Scale it (effect control), and it scales it within the frame that it used to be in. All good!

Now Poisition it to the right so the subject is centered  (effect control) - and the rhs of the frame of the image moves over, which would have it encroaching on something there 😞

You talking of the white divider makes me think that I put a white image with a cut out for the photo - but say I had a grid of 4x3 (like a Zoom meeting) and I wanted to scale and position those 12 images BUT keep the grid as was, I'd have to have 12 cut out layers ... which wouldn't work!

I just don't get it 😫 Can you try explaining again, so sorry to ask

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to give a better idea of what I'm trying to do ...

In InDeisgn, you have the Frame that the Image sits in. You can zoom into or position the Image within the Frame. That's what I'm trying to do here. Set the Frame and keep that locked, and then move the Image within that Frame. It's such a basic of InDesign or any dtp app, that I just can't get my head around how it doesn't apply here, or how to do the same thing!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Right; my method will not work for that. Let's see if someone else has an option.

You might try cropping after nesting each photo in its own sequence.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again Stan!

I think I might have got it sorted 😳

What seems to work is to Add a Crop, then Add Transform, move the Crop up above Transform, and then use key frames. That way we get to scale and move, while keeping the frame unchanged! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Excellent! Thanks for reporting back.

Stan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines