• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ZV-1 4K issues... and a question

Explorer ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, when adding 4K footage from my recently-acquired Sony ZV-1 to my sequence, the view in the program monitor freezes. I expect my MacBook (mid-2015, 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB) to struggle with 4K footage, but not to keel over so completely. I've created a proxy file and that seems to work fine, but as soon as I press Toggle Proxies it's game over. The view simply doesn't update. I can switch to another timeline, I can theoretically browse, but there's now update in the program monitor. So I seem to have a basic problem with this 4K footage, and looking at the Activity Monitor, there's no great overload of CPU.

Now my question. I want to create some tutorial videos in 1080p. I'm a guitarist, and I want to create a zoomed-in portion for my left hand. So the idea is to have a duplicate of my clip at 250% of the original size, with an opacity mask so I get a circle of my magnified hand. Of course, using 1080 footage, the magnified portion looks a little weedy. My idea was to use 4K footage on a 1080 sequence, with the thought that the magnified portion would look better. Is this daft? If the 4K footage is resized to the dimensions of the 1080 timeline (showing I guess at 50%), does that negate the idea that the enlarged portion would have a higher resolution than an enlarged 1080 clip?

I hope that makes sense, many thanks to anyone who can shed light on either issue. If the answer to the question about 4K on a 1080 sequence is that it's not worth bothering with, then the first issue about basic compatibility with my machine and 4K footage generally is moot.

TOPICS
Error or problem , Formats , Freeze or hang , Performance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dropping 4K in a 1080p sequence is the way to go if you want to zoom in. But dont go past 100%. Above this amout will result in quality loss.

Instead of proxies you could transcode all footage to a more edit-friendly codec such as Prores 422 HQ.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. When you say 'don't go past 100%', you mean 100% of the original (which has been reduced to 50% to fit the 1080 sequence) ? So, returning the 4K to native resolution effectively

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have my preference scaling set to None:

AnnBens_0-1665067497595.png

AnnBens_1-1665067519756.png

AnnBens_2-1665067550293.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 07, 2022 Oct 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Great, that makes sense. These are YouTube videos, and I can see that 4K on a 1080 timeline gives me the option to magnify with no apparent loss of quality. Thanks for your help, I guess shooting in 4K will be worth it. This must be quite a common thing. @Ann Bens does it 'feel' cropped, because of the optics? Do you tend to shoot any wider in 4K because you always have the option to zoom a bit in post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines