• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

A “ghost playhead" which ALWAYS marks the timeline location of the currently displayed frame

Engaged ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Perhaps "current view indicator" is a better name than "ghost playhead.")

Here is the problem: The (cyan, user-controlled) playhead does NOT necessarily correlate to the frame that is being shown in the program or source monitor.

Sometimes, an old frame continues to be displayed, even though the user clicked elsewhere on the timeline (or "time ruler," as Premiere calls it.)

Depending upon computer specs, network bandwidth and latency, video codec, and other factors, it can sometimes take several seconds for the chosen frame to actually load and be displayed.

In the meantime, users need some kind of indication as to which frame is currently being displayed. This would be "the ghost playhead," which could perhaps be colored red.

If the normal playhead IS NOT on the same frame as the ghost playhead, it should be a different color, perhaps purple. This could be called the "Pending playhead."

If the normal playhead and ghost playhead ARE on the same frame, they should combine to form a different color - probably cyan as it is now.

Here's a video explanation:
https://youtu.be/XeFezzmG22c?t=311

Here's a link to a closely related feature request: https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/42186322--i-frame-first-fas...
Idea No status
TOPICS
Editing and playback

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
5 Comments
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a pro, this is probably the simplest and most brilliant idea on the forum for improvement. Just show me both on the timeline where I want to choose, and where the program is trying to render for preview ... at the same time. Without this, I have to wait, to know if where I have picked is accurate ... and that time is variable. Giving me more information at this moment is critical for efficient use. I have exactly the same problem as this poster, and this should be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ghost frames would be overkill and a waste of programming effort IMO. Perhaps a better solution might be a playhead that changes color once the correct frame is loaded?

As for your FR for "I-frame first fast seeking" I agree 100% that this should be added!
https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/42186322--i-frame-first-fas...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This would be a major improvement. I love the idea and it would help a lot to know exactly what is going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not entirely sold on 'Ghost Playhead' being the solution to this problem, it feels like it's adding a lot of visual noise, especially when combined with the I-frame seeking scenario you point out in the video.

I feel like the important information is 'This frame hasn't loaded yet', and I don't really care what wrong frame I am looking at specifically.

Perhaps a third state could be added to the dropped frame indicator to show when there is a mismatch? This would surface the most important information, and hopefully wouldn't be as complex to implement as a ghost playhead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I suppose if we fill the Premier with such things, we will get confusion and concentration of attention. I don't know about many people, but for me it's extremely outrageously inconvenient to strain my eyes tracking the flashing of heads in front of you. Think for yourself whether it's worth it or not. I am categorically against this feature.

Votes

Translate

Translate