• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Continuously Rasterize Vector Graphics Option (AI, EPS, Ect)

LEGEND ,
Jan 24, 2023 Jan 24, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vector graphics are rasterized as they are imported. Scaling them larger than 100% results in a blurry graphic. After Effects offers a "Continuously Rasterize" option, and Premiere should offer the same. It could be an option under Interpret Footage.
Idea No status
TOPICS
Import and ingest

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
25 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Allow Premiere to scale up an imported Adobe Illustrator file without the edges getting jagged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A better way to phrase this might be "Don't rasterize Vector Graphics until final export".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Continuously Rasterize" is the term used in After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I merged a couple of 'Continually rasterize' request into this one to keep the votes cumulative. I also moved it into the Essentials Graphics bucket. It's good feedback and something we agree would be a good improvement, so keep the votes coming if it's important to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Pro should have a continuous rasterization option, such as After Effects. It would be fantastic for the Essential Graphics Panel options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES, PLEASE, IT WOULD BE GREAT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We do have Vector Motion in the ECP for Graphics in Pr 13.0 which will help you avoid pixelization and clipping. Is that what you want?
https://www.premierebro.com/premiere-in-post/new-vector-motion-effect-in-premiere-pro-cc-2019

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking up this issue today I found posts from October 2010 asking for the same thing, so I'm not too optimistic we will get this feature anytime soon.

While we wait, there's a workaround in this Forum thread: https://forums.adobe.com/thread/733038

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a career programmer / web designer; with a BFA in Graphic Design and have been using Illustrator / Photoshop for 20 years. Now that I'm toying with video.. I can't believe Premiere doesn't do this out to the box!!!! SO FRUSTRATING

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Adobe please add some basic vector graphics options for your new Premiere pro release! These options are very necessary to working with. Adding/Importing vector graphics as they are vectors and infinity scalable are super useful in Premiere pro. Thanks in advance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add this feature!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This feature is already in After effects. Photoshop works with placed Vector (smart) objects.

It seems crazy that a flagship app like Premiere Pro cannot scale-up placed vector graphics without pixelation…

Please add, because saving out - and duplicating - files is so 20th century.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I came this issue accross today. I thought I was making a mistake but no: Adobe Premiere doesn't seem to keep the vector graphics information on any AI/EPS object. I'm very surprised about this as Adobe invented the AI format and promotes a cross app workflow, so YES: Please Adobe get this issue fixed - it would help us a lot!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cant believe this isn't available. No video editor seems to support EPS without pixelisation. Please add it !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Raymond and everybody who commented before him. Are you referring to graphics created in Premiere Pro? Then we have the option to use Vector Motion as opposed to Motion in the Effect Controls.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Annika Koenig (Premiere Pro) Hi ! We are takling about Imported vector files, from AI, EPS, or any other vector format support which could be supprted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's see this happen, Adobe! After Effects compositions imported into Premiere should also be treated as vector graphics.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Came across this bug today - absolutely crazy to think this hasn't been addressed yet given how much development have been put into PP in recent years

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After you import your .ai file into Premiere, drag the asset onto the timeline. Right click on the ciip and select Properties. You should see something like this...

Type: Adobe Illustrator File
File Size: 793.32 KB
Image Size: 1895 x 1760
Pixel Aspect Ratio: 1.0
Alpha: Straight Alpha

If the Image Size is very small such as 200 x 200 pixels, then create a new document in Illustrator at the desired pixel size for your Premiere project. Copy your artwork into the new document, and scale it up. I made my Illustrator document size 2,000 x 2,000 pixels since the logo I'm working with fits neatly within a square aspect ratio.

Import the new file into Premiere. The artwork should appear razor sharp in Premiere.

I hope this helps.

—Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

11 years later and still no support for scaling vectors in PP. Adobe changes the "save-as" command after over 30 years but won't fix issues that actually matter to the paying userbase. This software company is becoming a joke.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

James, the Vector Motion in the ECP does not seem to recognize ai files. It isn't a fully functional solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you everyone for your votes and comments. What's being asked for here is really a Premiere Pro core feature and not anything specific to Essential Graphics. The request is a good one, but it has to do with the way that Pr rasterizes vector-based source media like .ai and .eps files. I will be moving this request outside of Essential Graphics so that the core team can see and evaluate it more easily.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm a lifelong user of Adobe products, and they're mostly great. But this seems like a really bad miss. I'm trying to create instructional videos with Premiere that involve a lot of line art and shapes. I want my vector art to look really crisp, and be able to see the results of edits. Premiere's inability to import simple native vector files (SVG, PDF, whatever) frankly left me a little stunned. Here's what I would like to see.

1) Ability to import simple vector files in common formats. I don't want to import some giant multi-layered AI source file. That doesn't do me any good. Instead, I'd like to be able to import vector files from saved-out assets I created and edited in the giant AI source file.

2) That Premiere handles vector art as vector art, and doesn't rasterize until rendering. This goes without saying. Otherwise there's not much point to bringing in vector art.

3) I understand that Premiere isn't going to include Illustrator-level tools for manipulating vector art. That's fine. I would like, however, to make edits to a vector file using Illustrator, and have the results update in the linked artwork in Premiere. In fact, maybe add an option for vector import to import either as embedded or linked. If I had to chose one, though, it would be linked files, for ability to edit externally via AI.

Please fix this. This feels like a "should have happened 10 years ago" feature. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Of course you always can go into Illustrator and scale it up or replace it with an AfterEffects comp and tick the box for "continuously rasterize" there but for one feature it's a little bit tedious to do so.

It would be most logical for me to put it in the "interpret footage" window but an option during export to continuously rasterize all vector files in the project would be useful too or an option/button to turn this feature on/off for all vector files to get better perfomance during editing (like the proxy on/off or the fx on/off)

Votes

Translate

Translate